The “Pain” of giving!

• JimW
    SE MN

Well, I took my eldest nephew trout fishing yesterday morning. This would be his first time trout fishing.

He arrived 15 minutes early, after I had explained in detail the “fishing buddy” #1 rule. A friend of mine and I have a

mutual understanding that unless you call or there was an emergency, “your 5 minutes late” you’ll have to find me on the water”!

After patiently assisting him retrieve his rap out of the trees a few times, we finally made it to a “sweet” section of water! A wonderful confluence of cold trout water into warmer bass water. On the way to this section of stream I had inundated my “poor” nephew with probably more storys in a half hour that he’ll ever hear. The one that “sticks” out in my mind, How I have had numerous hooks impale my body over the years. Most of them foolish mistakes on my part!

Well, it was not too long after that when my nephew nails a very decent brown trout! A very fat 16 incher! After a few helpful(at least I thought they were) pointers, he landed the fish. Now it was hook removal time. Being the “fisherman” of the family I decided to take this fishing education one-step-further! With out hemastats, I’ll show him how to remove the hooks from a very feisty browner! Before I knew it, OUCH!! After a second or two, I found myself staring at my thumb in amazement! Yes it went all of the way through!!

However, here is a strong case for barbless hooks! My nephew had recently lost a rap, so I gave him one I used during the catch and release/barbless only trout season. Let me tell you though it still hurt like SH**!!!, but I managed to pull the hook back through!! I then looked at my nephew and said, “This fish is going on the grill tonight”!!!

alkfish
    St Paul MN

LOL!!!!!!!!

Ouch, it sounds like your nephew learned some very good lessons. Hope your thumb feels better. Was that trout even tastier after the ordeal?LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alkfish

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Had a similar experience, (as I am sure many of you have) Last fall, the last good day to fish before the ice, I went out with my graduate assistant and we were catchin some northern’s. We were out about 5 mins. when I hooked into our first nice one. With no net I asked him to boat it which he did very nicely. He began to remove the rattle trap and literally as my mouth opened to say “lets grab the hemos” the nice pike did the usual shake and very nicely the trebles were out of the pikes mouth and deep and I mean DEEP into my GA’s finger. As I tried to decide what to do next I asked him if he would pull out the tape to measure my nice catch. Then to add insult to injury I asked him to take a picture as well, He gladly did with his left hand, (try that sometime) Anywho we then proceeded to the hospital where they kindly yanked it out. I figure we lost about 200+ casts that day! LOL. Lesson learned “take that few seconds to do it right!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Geeeeee…. some of you guys are REALLY hooked on fishing!!…. but I can see you really get the POINT!!

anyway… its much more fun to have the fish still hooked on the lure AND hooked to you at the same time….. try it sometime!… I know I have….. and there is some SERIOUS pain… heck it even shuts me up for a little while!…. (other than the occasional whimper!)

JimW
    SE MN

Ironically, that is how those impalement stories went….hook in fingure while the trout riggles hard, trying to shake loose!!! Nooooo Goood!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.