SUNGLASSES

• DRIFTER

With all the fine weather we’ve had lately, I’m just wondering what brand of sunglasses do us fishermen wear on bright sunny days. Does the term “you get what you paid for”apply here. I really enjoy this site! Thanks, DRIFTER.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Personally I don’t know about the get what you pay for part but I have had the same pair for about three years and they only cost me $12.00 at Gander Mountain, they might not be the coolest looking pair of glasses but they work for me and if you do buy sun glasses make sure they are polarized it realy helps to take the glare off the water.

See ya on the river!

Dustin

walleyefshr
    Kansas

I picked up a pair of Bolle polarized glasses, half price for 20 bucks at a wal mart optical shop. Most comfy glasses I have have on my head cept for my Oakleys…..but they were over a hundred….and not polarized…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

When it comes to sunglasses, I lose them so quickly that I opt for the cheaper stuff. Most will specify if they’re capable of blocking UV A & B rays so look for that when shopping as sunlight can be real hard on the peepers. Polarization is almost a given on most all sunglasses anymore so that shouldn’t be a big concern when shopping.

I’d say > $20 and WHEN, not if (Stuff happens!), you knock them in the water you won’t lose too much sleep over the deal!

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I don’t know where ~H2O~ shops but in general stores like WalMart, Target, KMart, ShopKo…………….most of the cheaper sunglasses aren’t polarized. I just recently replaced my umteenthousandth pair. But here’s another idea. I bought a pair of amber lens Strike King glasses and like Dustin says, they’re not the hippest specs around, but for $8.00, buy a couple and keep them in the boat or tackle box. Reason for the amber recommendation is because it even improves things on a cloudy day! Something very soothing about that lens, but for some it may take a little getting used to. Shop around, all the posted info is good!

CroixRiverRat
    n. st. paul,mn

spend the money and buy a pair of Costa Del Mars.(100.00 or so) They fit well and have a lifetime warranty.They also have all the features that the previous postsmentioned. Once you spend that kind of money on glasses you will learn to take care of them and not lose em. FISH ON!!!

JimW
    SE MN

I agree, COsta Del MArs!!!!!! Glass Polarized lense(sp?) Expensive? Yes! Well Worth it? Definitely! I have had my pair for Atleast 5 seasons. I can see clearly through them, not all scratched up like the plastic gas station variety and I have the doohingy that attaches to the sunglasses, keeping them from plopping overboard! Also, I have compared the polarization to cheaper brands and I would have to say it goes un matched. However, it all comes down to preference. How much will you spend on a reel, a rod a locater? Whatever it takes to assist you in your fishing success and fun I say!! (Emphasizing the “fun”)

Anonymous

Speaking of which, are mine still in your glovebox? I hope you didnt try wearing them, they are prescription and were quite expensive, tell me you didnt lose them!

Steve HougomFTR Webstaff

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hougie

I assume you were talking to me about your shades. Yup, I still have them in the glovebox in my boat. You can rest assured that I haven’t even lifted them from the very spot you yourself chose so carefully for them. Like me first post stated…. if I so much as touch them they’re likely to animate before my very eyes and jump into the water. I lose shades at an amazing rate.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

alkfish
    St Paul MN

I know it is a lot of money for good glasses, but it is definately worth it. The clarity and fit of my hobie eclipse are second to none. The first thing to do is get a a cord to hold onto to your glasses. I have had my hobies for 4 years and have never regretted buying them.

~~~~~~~~Alkfish

barc
    SE MN

I agree with the Costa Del Mars… Glass lens that really resist scratches. Spent a little over $100 a couple of years ago and even tested out the lifetime warranty. Set them on a 4 wheeler and forgot about them – needless to say they fell off and got run over… All that you could salvage from those glasses was one bow – called the factory to see what they would do and they said send em’ in and they would ‘fix’ them. I think it cost around $45 to get a new pair.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

barc,

Thanks for sharing that little story! A company that is willing to stand behind a product that was clearly in violation of any warranty (regarding workmanship) is a great selling point. In fact, I just may have to break down and look into a pair. It doesn’t hurt to look right? At least that’s the story I’ll have to use at home!! LOL! Maybe I could get a pair in trade for letting them get another dog??? Hmmmmm…………………..

toddberghoff
    Prior Lake

check out http://www.polarized.com – they carry costas along with several other major brands at substantial discounts. i checked out a pair of costas at the sportsman show for 149. the dealer said if i bought today he would drop the price to 139. found the exact same pair at the site above and paid 89.00. they actually operate out of wayzata mn – so you can call them with questions at 877-478-7932 toll free. don’t want to sound like a spammer, but they did pretty well by me. good luck.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

The Bandanna or Shaw Girgsby series by Ocean Waves are fantastic. They don’t have the regular ear pieces so there is no fatigue. There is a strap that is adjustable instead and will not fly over at speeds. They also conform around your eyebrow, cheeks and temples so there is no glare from the sides. They are glass lenses and can be ordered to fit your prescription.

http://www.MikeFinkeOutdoors.com

Beaver

I need prescription glasses so I fork out over $100 for each pair that I get.

2 things that I think are important besides polarization.

1-glass lenses, not plastic..take care of them.

2-get some side shields. Nothing is more bothersome than glare coming back off the lens into your eyes. I use side shields on my script glasses like trap shooters wear. They really make a difference if you are sight or target fishing.

Beav

DRIFTER

Thanks for the great response guys. I settled for a pair of Costa Del Mars (Deep Blues). Ordered them through Hastings Outdoors bait shop via Bass pro shop( no shipping fee) . Bass Pro beats all by at least $20.00. See you on the water. DRIFTER

JimW
    SE MN

You WILL NOT be dissapointed in the Del MArs!!! Keep the rods bendin’!!! JIm W

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.