Inver Grove Heights Asian Carp?

• Jira

Hello all…

Just thought I would drop a quick note on this. My brother in-law and his friend went duck hunting a couple days ago just north of spring lake. As they were pulling up on their blind, what they identified as an Asian Flying Carp jumped ouf of the water , hit one of them in the shoulder and landed in the bottom of their boat.

Feeling confident in what it was, they let it relax for a while in the boat before tenderizing it with the synthetic butt of an 11-87.

I wish they would have kept it to verify the species, but they tossed it before I heard of the story. Any thoughts on this? Are they this far north already? Could they have been right in their identification of the fish?

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I think it probobly was one. They hate the noise, so they jump at it. It explains it. Although, I hope it was not one, because we do not need em.

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Your brother-in-law should let the DNR know about this “sighting.” The federal government is planning on spending millions of dollars on a barrier to keep these fish from moving up the Mississippi. The northern most confirmed case was found in Lake Pepin. If there is an established population this far north it could have great consequences. Please tell the DNR your story. Maybe they won’t do anything about it, but at least you tried. These fish can destroy a fishery.

Mike T.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I agree with Mike T. They should let the DNR know for sure. [(651-345-3365) Lake City office]. The major “jumping” Asian carp is the silver carp. The one found in Lake Pepin was a Bighead carp….which is also known to jump, just not as much as the silver. I would urge anyone who encounters one of these fish to keep it for identification purposes. Let us know if you hear anything on this if ya would. Thanks.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

This is a huge deal. Anybody believing they have caught (or found) an Asian Carp should immediately take the fish to the Minnesota and/or Wisconsin DNR for positive identification. This would be a substantial finding. It’s also possible this fish wasn’t an asian carp — hence the critical need for positive ID. The experts (biologists) need determine what the fish is, and collect all the information they can get.

As Steve alluded to, their is a lot of planning going on right now at the State and federal level on addressing concerns with Asian Carp. All timely, factual information is very important for these planning processes.

Jira

I reviewed pictures of flying carp with the friend it hit. He is 100% sure that it was a Silver Carp.. which looks like this..

He said that the one that hit him was about 14 inches.

I also filed a report with Dirk Peterson of the DNR, gave him the names, dates, and details. Dirk told me that sometimes single fish will wander out of the “established zone” for these fish. I asked him if the DNR then assumes that they cannot reproduce of there are only a few scattered fish.. he said “Kind of.” I then asked him how they know when the fish are considered at a reasonably high risk to take foothold on an area. He said that when several studies are completed, they show up more frequently, they are found in breeding habitat.

*$&#%!! — Holding back my frustration I didn’t ask him the obvious next question — ISN’T THAT TOO LATE?!?!

He also mentioned that funding is trying to be gathered for prevention meausures — aka electric fence — but reminded me that nothing was currently planned to be built.

I don’t know what we can do about this as citizens but the situation sucks. The feeling I got from Dirk, to no fault of his own, is that the DNR’s hands are tied by a lack of funding and they really can’t do crap about it without the cash. I guess it makes sense.

In any case, it really chaps me. I’m ticked off.

JJ

g38
    South metro

The state of Illinois just got some funding from the fed, as well as the state to “update” an electric barrier on the Illinois river, trying to prevent these fish from getting into lake Michigan. I saw the article in a Chicago paper.

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

This is kind of scary, but the last 2 times I have been out by Red Wing I have seen fish jump in my wake that look all to similar to the asian carp . Hopefully I am mistaken and lets hope the DNR can find a solution to this MAJOR problem. Thanks

Tony

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

He also mentioned that funding is trying to be gathered

Are they still using that for an excuse!!

They…(all government) sure can find the money for other projects when they want to.

Sorry, I know that wasn’t the point of your post…but we have channel cats swimming all over the central MN lakes because “the resedents of IA enjoy catfish”. Nothing personal friends in IA…..but why couldn’t they lack the funds then!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

“Sorry, I know that wasn’t the point of your post…but we have channel cats swimming all over the central MN lakes because “the residents of IA enjoy catfish”. Nothing personal friends in IA…..but why couldn’t they lack the funds then!”

People from Iowa don’t like Catfish any more or any less than people in MN. My next comment should be that we Iwegians have to put up with fags in Iowa because they all come from the cities. Why would people from Iowa have any influence on what fish are stocked on MN lakes. I can guarantee you that it is not derived from economic benefits. Channels were originally found in the Arkansas river basin and had been found as far north as Wyoming. Your Iowan displacement of native fish is absurd.
    Jc

MikeT1
    St. Paul, MN

Watch the derogatory language! Try and have a civil debate otherwise you sound extremely unintelligent and make everyone on this site appear the same.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

What are you talking about……

I was simply stating an obvious gross misinterpretation of ideals..

No offence to Brian, if any was taken I apologize… I assume you are taking you are taking offence to the term fag. I guess I should change it to “Scrubs”…. that is the proper definition.

jc

Wadsworth

Scrubs?

I don’t get it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.