Shallow water walleye tactics P4

• Jake_A

So for you pool 4 gurus I have a quick question. I have ran into some big walleyes on p4 in some shallow water-less than 5ft while fishing the backwaters for bass. My question is what would you throw to specifically target them? These fish have been crushing spinnerbaits. Thanks! Oh and there is zero current where I am at.

BBKK
    IA

A shallow shad rap, a spinning rod, and 8-10lb mono. That goes for any place on the river where the fish are in the shallow backwaters, works great. If they are super super shallow you can even drop down to an orig rapala stick bait which you can burn and only get to about 3′ depth.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Would it be worth trying some of the slashing style stick baits (X-raps, etc)?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

So for you pool 4 gurus I have a quick question. I have ran into some big walleyes on p4 in some shallow water-less than 5ft while fishing the backwaters for bass. My question is what would you throw to specifically target them? These fish have been crushing spinnerbaits.

If they are crushing ’em the logical answer would be spinnerbaits why change what’s working

Jig and a crawler

Jig and a minnow

Plastics

and

crankbaits

I’m going out to buy some spinnerbaits though

onestout
    Hudson, WI

oh boy, someone is going to have a new secret bait on Tuesday now.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

oh boy, someone is going to have a new secret bait on Tuesday now.

That person probably will have to trade in the skeeter deepV tiller for a bass boat – don’t worry Skeeter makes those too

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Glad you posted this. Been thinking about checking out the spinner bait bite myself. Might be a good option this weekend with all the cotton seed in the main channel. Do a little searching on line and you will find spinner baits designed for walleye fishing. What I think makes them ideal for this situation is the noise they create, they run shallow to mid depth if needed and they are somewhat snag proof. The places I want to try them there is no way a crank is going to make it through that timber for very long. Jigs are to quiet to get the attention and reaction strikes.

amundsonjon
    wi

a white willow bladed spinner bait has put quite a few walleyes in the boat cast shallow in the backwaters especially good in non current areas. Often put a bfishn tackle plastic on the hook. If you can keep the northerns off they tend to last longer. Have also had some luck on erie dearie with crawler on

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I have slammed some of my biggest Walleyes up in Canada on spinner baits.

Somedays you go against the grain of normalcy and it pays off!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.