Low water @ ramps

• HOOSIER
    West Salem, Wi.

This past Tuesday morning I tried to launch at 3 ramps in the La Crosse area. The north landing ramp @ Dresbach was out of the water, 8-10 feet of the river bottom was exposed. An incoming fisherman, in a flatbottom boat, said it was pretty shallow, and that he had to put about 1/2 the length of his truck into the water to launch his flat. I have a 17 foot semi-v tracker, having no waders I preceeded to the south landing @ Dresbach. Warning signs in the water at that landing stated “dropoff at end of ramp”. I could not remember how steep the drop was, and having several years ago had the trailer with my Lund get hung on that same ramp, I proceeded to the ramps on Clinton street. Into the water, 1/2 the truck length into the water, boat still on trailer. I pulled out to see if I had left a hold-down on the boat. No. Back into the water for another try. Same thing, no float off. No waders, not willing to put any more of the truck length into the water, I pulled out, Headed home thinking, this coming weekend I will float this boat, and will bring the waders.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Now is the time when power loading effects show their ugly head.

Many smart launch tenders take the time to drop a bucket load of rock into those washouts this time of year.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Or waders and getting the truck wet. Used to use a landing on the croix that was always very shallow this time of year. It was nothing to have the front tires 20′ out in the water. Maybe it might be worth while to take a trip back to these landings and see how others are getting in and out. Especially if you are not sure what you are going to be backing the truck into. That landing on the croix was fantastic for keeping boat traffic down.

water doc

I don’t use the I-90 ramps but I’m surprised you had a problem with the Clinton St. ramps. Were you on the west side? I’ve seen those ramps used all this week. I haven’t used Clinton St. in a while but I put in at the Green Island ramp just last Friday and didn’t have a problem.

The river has been real close to 5′ since mid-September which after all the high water we’ve had is pretty close to normal for this time of year.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Welcome to In Depth Doc!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.