The river bite is on!!

• walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

The upper stretchs of the Mighyt Miss. have been on fire since the start of the heat wave. By far the best action is coming off live bait weather on a jig, a rig or a bobber. Hands down the smallie fishing is second to none, the last 5 days have been simply catching rather than fishing. On Thursday I went 33 smallies off 25 minnows in under 2 hours all over 15inches All coming off a circle hook and a sucker, sinker is optional, as the top water bite is just around the corner. The multi species action has been decent also with plenty of panfish to be had after dailing down the bait sizes. By far the best areas have been high flow current eddys for the toothed creatures and shallow slack water for the pan fish. The Pike have slowed abit now but still seeing 1 or 2 per tri but the size just isnt there anymore. As for the eyes, I havent been tareting them much but will score 1 or 2 almost every trip out. The cat fishing front has me stumped though, there has to be some Flats in there some where but I cant find them, soaked a bully for 5 hours the other night only to score 2 decent channels, and have one H3LL of a run that ended as fast as it started. The main struggle has been finding place in the main channel that arnt flowing 3 to 5 mph AND the grass I have targeted feeder creek mouths and downed wood for the cats, any pointers would be great. Also when fishing wood do you lay your baits in front of it or behind it? Thanks much and tight lines to all

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

how big was that crappie?

near 12 i figured they were all from 11 to 13, flu flu and a fat heads was the ticket there, pike and smallies as well on the same rig about 18 inchs under a small float
    Thanks for the cat intell

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Good report! I fish the upper quite a bit and the bite has been good for me too…although I have been going more after eyes.

JP

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

So were you only hesitant to post reports yesterday?

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

So were you only hesitant to post reports yesterday?

and tommarrow

arklite881south

Nice Job Ben!! 33 Smallies is Awesome!! What a fun time.

stuart
    Mn.

Good report Ben,I might have to do a road trip up your way soon.

buschman
    Pool 2

Quote:

Also when fishing wood do you lay your baits in front of it or behind it? Thanks much and tight lines to all

Stay up in front of that wood and as close as you can get away with!! Usually the fast tip of it will have scoured out a little area that they like to follow out if they are behind it. Some piles are very good up along the shore side of it as well. Depends how sticky it is.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great report Ben. I’ve been watching kids catch some nice channels off the landing by my house. The current is sure ripping there giving those boys all they wanted for a fight.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

I’ve been watching kids catch some nice channels off the landing by my house. The current is sure ripping there giving those boys all they wanted for a fight.

We were there last week, its a nice hole right out front there, getting the ancor to hold was a pain but man they were in there dispite the flow rate moving thru the hole!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.