Pool Fence

• JEREMY
    BP

My kids have a little 12′ across 3′ deep pool sitting in our driveway. Apperently to be city compliant it needs to have a 4 foot fence round it. Any suggestions on what kind of temporary fence would be reasonable to install. Dont wanna drill anchors in concrete driveway.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

That’s ridiculous

Jason

They are going to want a locked door/gate as well. Ask me how I know!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My kids have a little 12′ across 3′ deep pool sitting in our driveway. Apperently to be city compliant it needs to have a 4 foot fence round it. Any suggestions on what kind of temporary fence would be reasonable to install. Dont wanna drill anchors in concrete driveway.

Are you sure above-ground pools aren’t exempt from the fence requirement? It may be worth digging into the actual ordinance, not just the summary on the website.

Who told you about this ordinance and are you sure they have it right?

Sharon
    SE Metro

If it’s sitting on your driveway that means it’s kidna temporary. Why would the city require you to fence a little 3′ temporary pool??

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

How bout a full time lifeguard?

Nothing like government over reach

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you sure above-ground pools aren’t exempt from the fence requirement? It may be worth digging into the actual ordinance, not just the summary on the website.

Who told you about this ordinance and are you sure they have it right?

Best advice right here..

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

This sounds more like someone didn’t like seeing you have a pool in your driveway and is trying to get you to remove it. I guess I understand. I don’t like seeing myself with my shirt off either. I don’t think you need a fence with a above ground pool. Where do you live? The code may be different or are you apart of a homeowner’s association?

JEREMY
    BP

The city inspector said it wouldnt need a fence if it had a least 4 foot sidewalls and the ladder removed and put in the garage when not occupied. They make kits for the top of pool to make it taller but dont think they would work on ours.

CaptainMusky

If you had that pool in your back yard instead of plain view no one would have known you had it.

Jason

All it takes is an unhappy neighbor to complain about it and report you to the city/township and it goes down hill from there. Since most above ground pools are 42″ max depth in theory they all fall into this category if your ordinances spell it out in that fashion. When in dought go for it, let’s the kids have fun and put out the 🔥 later if the problem arises. The reasoning behind it is they don’t want kids crawling in there and drowning while no one is around. That’s why they want a locked gate or the removal of the ladder and a 48″ high barrier. They do sell ladders with locking top access doors or sliding step covers as well but they are not cheap.

Deuces

I’d figure out what the definition of a fence is to them first

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I put up 2 pools in my back yard last night. One is 30” deep and 10’ dia for my son and the other one is 12” deep and 6’ dia for the dogs. It might be cheaper to buy a bigger pool than do a fence.

JEREMY
    BP

No one complained and the city guy actually said he wouldnt do anything until someone does. Problem is we rent and its the property owner who wants it to be code. We have a huge yard but to put in back would require way to much excavation.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d be looking to move first and foremost.

Living someplace where you are forced to put a fence around some portable pool in your driveway for kids is likely just the start of the BS you will deal with over time living in that area.

Iowaboy1

We have codes like that here, before you go butting heads with inspectors, owners, etc. consider this, if someone drowns in that pool even though you didnt give them permission to be in it or near it, you are still liable period.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The fact that you are a renter isn’t helping either. I don’t blame the property owner for following code or an ordinance. If something happens he could be held liable. Whereas if you owned the property, the only person held liable would be you.

Jason

If someone drowns in that pool even though you didnt give them permission to be in it or near it, you are still liable period.

Also your insurance company will frown on the case if your setup is not up to code if something bad does occur.

JEREMY
    BP

Not really butting heads as the property owner is my dad. He wants it done for the liability of it and i knew i needed to do it but just been putting it off.

May 24, 2022 at 12:10 pm#2126458
    We have codes like that here, before you go butting heads with inspectors, owners, etc. consider this, if someone drowns in that pool even though you didnt give them permission to be in it or near it, you are still liable period.

JEREMY
    BP

Also your insurance company will frown on the case if your setup is not up to code if something bad does occur.

A few years ago when i had my garage heater put in the company said they didnt care if i gotta permit. Went to the city and the guy said nobody gets them he only gives out a few a year. He also said for the fifty bucks the permit and inspection costs will save lots of trouble with insurance if anything would happen because of it. I got a permit.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Very good point. The liability is the concern. Reason #1 million to try and have as few of neighbors as possible.

It’s still sad that someone who trespasses onto your property and hurts themselves using something that is yours (not theirs) …can sue you for every dime you are worth.

Coletrain27

I’ve done a few pool fences. Last I knew they required a gate that would close and lock behind you on its own after you went in. Just worked on one last week actually

JEREMY
    BP

It says self locking and self closing gate not sure what i will do about that.

Coletrain27

It says self locking and self closing gate not sure what i will do about that.

Your gonna need something mounted solid and a spring hinged gate and a solid latch post

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Get a dog kennel.

Jason

?? Landlord is your dad =
    I would tell pops to build his grandkids a dam fence so they can swim and have some fun.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

?? Landlord is your dad =
    I would tell pops to build his grandkids a dam fence so they can swim and have some fun.

Kind of was thinking the same thing. Put it in the back yard and put a fence around it.

gary d
    cordova,il

Clean your garage out and put it inside of it. I seen a guy do that and would drain it in the fall so he could get his car in for the winter. when not in use you just close the door.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Clean your garage out and put it inside of it.

Ha ha ha! Don’t have to worry about sunburns, too!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.