Pool 4 turns on ~ finally!

• matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

We caught a a few nothing to write home about though. Plastics worked better than live bait today.

Jonesy

Was out from 1045-4 today and had 3 bites and nothing to show for it.

Fishing is a learning experience. I have been skunked twice on P4. Both times it has been when the rollers are all the way up.

Plus side is I got to break my new to me boat in. No issues and ran great. The 90 ELPTO sure is noisy at idle.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The last storm dumped a ton of heavy snow in areas that can influence the big river from the Twin Cities on down when melting. And it is melting big time.

Here in Rochester where 12 inches was pretty common for a snow depth we are seeing some light rain and the snow we got is largely gone this morning except in areas where it may have drifted of gotten piled up during removal. Flat areas are showing a ton of green already. I know that the southern sections of the Metro had heavy snow too and that will make its way into the Minnesota River, so those gates may stay open a while. I think pool 5 and points down-river are going to take a hit from this white stuff that fell locally.

RRR made a comment recently that high water had to remain high for a while after spawning to allow the eggs to hatch and the young to orient themselves. I think what’s happening is likely what he is referring to.

As for the slow success, right about now in the cycle is when we begin to see some change-over from bait, hair and plastic tactics to pulling cranks or getting serious on dragging blades. People can get lulled into mediocrity or laziness and not try something because they don’t think its time for the technique. Honestly I think those that are fishing down stream from Baypoint to the head of the lake or lower are the thinkers right now. And with the higher water levels that back channel from the bridge down should be holding some serious weight for those who carefully venture into the area.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Yup
    Blades have been working for me up on pool 2 in 5 – 8 fow

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Yup
    Blades have been working for me up on pool 2 in 5 – 8 fow

What size blades have you been using?

Thanks,

mark z
    South Minneapolis

medium small, 1 1/2 inches long, Not sure of the weight.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

About 41.

Damn it! Check in with Everts. doah

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.