Pool 4 stuff?

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

We scraped up a few fish. I wouldn’t say fishing was good yesterday by any means. 100% of the people I talked to were struggling. Witnessed a handful of small fish caught.

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Not knowing lots about early season walleye, has it been slow because most fish are in a spawn pattern now and focusing on getting busy vs. eating?

I was wondering when the post spawn bite might occur? I don’t get many opportunities in the spring to get down to the river but the few years we had post spawn bite was really fun.

Tonka
    Minnesota

It was tough fishing April 11th, nice day, but crowded beyond crowded, boats pulling up right on top of you….my buddy and I asked if that was just the norm and culture on the river, because if I was on my home lakes, I would’ve kindly said something lbs…..first time ever fishing a river, and the current was ripping, we really had no idea what we were doing, but it was still a good day fishing.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There are crowd spots… with crowds.

If you don’t like crowds… look around, there’s lots of water with no crowds… in fact, much more water with no boats than areas with boats. You get to choose your enjoyment on the water based on your choices.

Pepin has been open for a few weeks… plenty of room to spread out.

Sure there’s maybe 200 boats from Prescott to wabasha… 3.2 boats per mile…

Congregating in an area and griping about is just entertainment from my chair. Your choice.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

, has it been slow because most fish are in a spawn pattern now and focusing on getting busy vs. eating?

Haven’t noticed a poor bite.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I fish pepin alot in the summer but have never tried it this early. Thinking of getting out this Saturday trolling cranks slow with 3oz bottom bouncers on some rods and leadcore on others.

Thoughts on this tactic or general location? I’m guessing it’s a post spawn bite and fish will was thinking of trying the upper part of pepin; specifically the can line at the head of pepin or possibly bay city flats. Targeting walleye. Feel free to DM me. Also would have an open seat if anybody wants to hop in my 18′ lund (6+ ft away from me of course!)

Russ Olson

Last couple years I’ve tried it with no luck. I believe they’re still coming down from the river.

Jabbinpike

I haven’t noticed a slow bite either. I’m no expert on the river, but I’ve been finding fish and catching them on each outing. The one thing I’d say is you need to find the bottom and keep contact with it- not see easy to do in high water with fast current. Let out more line and use heavier weight. This past weekend I would use nothing less than 3/4. 1oz was better though.

Also, regarding the boats and the crowded spots, it’s just the river in the Spring. Relax and go with it, talk to the people out there. Ask the ones you see catching fish what they are doing, they will usually tell you. If they won’t then just watch them for a while, more than likely at some point you’ll be close enough to them to see exactly what they are doing!

I love this time of year, with the crowds and all. It sure keeps things interesting!

Jabbinpike

[q

I was wondering when the post spawn bite might occur? I don’t get many opportunities in the spring to get down to the river but the few years we had post spawn bite was really fun.

[/quote]

The fish I was catching this weekend had not spawned yet. They were very close though. Again, no expert here but I’d say this is the week when most will spawn.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I fish pepin alot in the summer but have never tried it this early. Thinking of getting out this Saturday trolling cranks slow with 3oz bottom bouncers on some rods and leadcore on others.

Thoughts on this tactic or general location? I’m guessing it’s a post spawn bite and fish will was thinking of trying the upper part of pepin; specifically the can line at the head of pepin or possibly bay city flats. Targeting walleye. Feel free to DM me. Also would have an open seat if anybody wants to hop in my 18′ lund (6+ ft away from me of course!)

I don’t pretend to be an expert and you may know far more than I, but you may be a bit “early” with that tactic and location…but what do I know?

If that’s your approach share your results! Far too many people (myself included) are too narrow minded for river tactics and locations.

JBGROUSE

Guy’s I am new to the site have been a long time fan of IDO and the great information. Can anyone tell me if the river is dropping and what the best launch would be on pool 4 fairly new to the river game.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

The river is falling. Last I heard/used Bay point and everts are the only accesses open on the upper end of p4. Bay point is the best imo for river newbies. The access itself is great with ample parking. However, it can be quite busy.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Not sure I would go as far as the can line but I was not too far from it and a few fish were there. I just wished I had been there all day instead of trying to post up in the community spots. Fishing conditions change so often on the river, it’s tough to put a game plan together.

mojogunter

I launched at the WI back channel this morning. Still need boots so your feet won’t get wet. I picked my fishing partner up along the shore so he didn’t get wet. Bite was pretty good early and slowed down after 10:30. I did see a few more caught with live bait after it slowed for me. Lots of boats in the normal spots.

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Heading back down to P4 tomorrow, has anyone been out the last day or 2 with any luck?

Was thinking of hitting up the upper end of Pepin and wanting to avoid the dam and all that craziness.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I don’t think you will have bumper boats at the dam but who knows? its humpday and nice weather so the fair weather folk may be out in full force. I launched today with only 8 trailers in the lot at colvill. fishing was very good where I went. I did not go near pepin but feel free to DM me and I can share some info up river. I am quite intrigued how you do in pepin if you make it that way. not a single boat from where I could see but some of the bigger fish I have gotten recently were towards the lake? I only made it to the dam once since March and was almost going to give it a go today but my final pass got me a couple nice ones so there went that idea.

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

We fished most of the day yesterday and it was SLOW. In total I caught one short walleye and then this big guy. (See pic).

There were a good number of boats all up and down from the dam to town. I only saw 4 fish in total caught. Most boats I talked to said they had caught nothing.

So I guess the spring fun is over on P4 I guess now I wait till the opener.

Good luck out there.

Attachments:
    1. 62B3E745-1287-4651-B7FA-166834C28B49.jpeg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

We fished most of the day yesterday and it was SLOW. In total I caught one short walleye and then this big guy. (See pic).

There were a good number of boats all up and down from the dam to town. I only saw 4 fish in total caught. Most boats I talked to said they had caught nothing.

Good luck out there.

It’s the Mississippi river. The ‘spring fun’ is not over until summer technically starts. Then the ‘summer fun’ begins. The fish move. Just because they are not “by the dam” does not mean they are uncatchable… whistling

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

That is very true, that is why we started at the lake and worked up to the dam as a last resort. No one from the lake to the dam including us were catching anything ;( Could have just been the day.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

There’s been a few “should have been here yesterday” days this spring

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There’s been a few “should have been here yesterday” days this spring

Or a few hours ago, I’ve been out twice and I think we caught 90% of our fish in 4 hours out of the 14ish hours we’ve been out. Pool 4 is like MN weather, if it’s bad now just wait another hour or two and it will change. Fish last Friday I cleaned still hadn’t spawned. rotflol

Mnfishin

The water has considerably warmed up, now 55 degrees. Think they’ll be in the lower river/can line and Pepin yet? Has anyone been out?

I was out Friday and didn’t see too many walleye caught in the upper portions from Bay Point Marina to the dam.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Went out yesterday handlining fished from baypoint all the way to the dam, caught a dozen or so slower than the last two saturdays. I’d say the fish are on the move south but what do I know?

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

We were fishing on Pool 4 yesterday and something big bite my jig and took off. It jumped out of the water. It was a large fish with a paddle type nose. I don’t know what type of fish it was. The hook came out when it jumped out of the water. I think I marked the same fish on side image. Does anyone have an idea of what type of fish it was?

Attachments:
    1. question_fish.jpg

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Paddlefish is my guess.

mojogunter

Paddle fish are plankton eaters from what I have been told. The only way to catch one is snag it. My fishing partner saw one jump out of the water on pool 4 yesterday. I did not see it.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

My nephew caught a few and is always dragging his jig so snags them. You are correct mojo that the only way to catch is to snag them.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks guys, I must have accidentally snagged a Paddle Fish. It took off peeling drag like crazy. I am just happy it came unhooked I got my jig and my line back. I had just put a full spool of new line on Saturday morning.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Good luck out there.

The best fishing there starts about now or so and lasts till 4th of July. Heck fish bite all year on the river/lake really. The “fun” IMO is just starting!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.