Pool 4 fishing tips

• Luke Addington

Looking for some general advice for fishing this time of year as I don’t have a ton of experience under my belt on the river. any tips on wingdam fishing, presentations or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I’m pretty familiar with pulling cranks and jigs but have done it almost exclusively on lakes. Don’t need anybodys spot just a little info to get me on my feet, Thanks!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

This time of year , long lining JSR 5 shadraps is a great way to cover alot of water and catch fish! Reading water with your eyes, determining the current seams will be the home of the fish in that area !

I would suggest a day with one of the great guides down there would be a great investment !

Snap

Hello, there’s a ton of info already posted on this site going back years. You can search for key words e.g. “wingdam” in the upper right hand corner of the page. Here’s an example link to that search.

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=www.in-depthoutdoors.com&q=wingdam

That being said i’ve been trying to learn pool 3 and to a lesser extent pool 4 for about 6 years now and would still consider myself a newbie. So take my advice with a grain of salt. There are dozens of presentation styles you could use. While you’re learning, pick one style per day and focus on that one style while moving from location to location. I use to try to fish 4 or 5 different styles each day and it just ends up being work hauling around and tying up the different gear you need.

Good luck and remember to check back in here to lets us know about your success (and failures).

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

For wing dams just position casting distance upriver of the dam and cast cranks. Anything from 6-10′ divers is all you need. Focus on the outer half with low water. Move often.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Look up Marty Hahns site…he posts weekly and would be a good guide to go with.

Like guys said….cranks are a great option. Dragging bait will also work.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Try not to get frustrated, as late August thru Sept. can be tough months for the river. The fish are there, and like Dean said, pulling cranks is a solid option. Once the water temp. hits 55 degrees in the fall- it will be back to game on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.