Pool 3 – 4 Ice Fishing

• Bobby Kuennen

I recently moved to Northfield and looking for info places to ice fish on the river. Grew up fishing pools 9 and 10. Not looking for gps points but areas to focus on would be helpful. Looking for panfish or walleyes. Thanks!

pass0047
    Pool4

Welcome to Northfield, try Frontenac for walleye, not sure on current ice. Other wise I would fish faribault area lakes for pan fish.

chirp
    Rochester

Can always check out the harbors in Red Wing or Wabasha. Panfish aren’t bad but can get some keepers.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Sorry, No help on pool 3.

Pool 4. As suggested, Frontenac Beach offers some walleye fishing. Hok-Si-La beach nearer to Lake City may offer some walleye fishing but historically its been either a very, very early day or late afternoon/early evening bite there.

Baypoint Harbor and Lake City’s sailboat harbor areas can offer some panfishing. If you have patience Trailer Point on the up-stream side in Lake City can hold crappies but you really have to search them out. Wabasha Harbor sees a lot of panfish traffic and the backwaters of pool 4 start right across the high bridge from Wabasha. Wilcox Landing is pool 4″ last backwater hurrah and is located just south and to the left of the high school on old 61. Below Kellogg you’ll find extensive backwaters as well in pool 5.

IF you hit the backwaters off the dike road between Wabasha and Nelson, Wisconsin just be aware that there is an area of substantial current on the upstream side of the road, or to your left as you travel from MN to WI. Ice there can be a problem so I suggest fishing those areas to your right as you travel the same. You’ll find a million community spots along that road but if you slip away from the crowds you can often hit on real good fishing and much better fish.

Do yourself a favor and look up the MN DNR’s website and search for publications. Look for “Mississippi River Guide”, the one specific to the area between Hastings, MN and the Iowa border. Ask them to send you a copy. Its a free book and darned near 100% is maps which show the channel and backwaters along with towns and landings by name. This is super handy to have at home just to study and look for possible new water to fish but its also a handy visual reference to get to the places I have mentioned.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Does anyone know if there are any rules against Ice Fishing in the Lake City Marina or any of the other Marinas on the lake? I always assumed that was not allowed.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

During the open water season you cannot go out on the docks in Lake City to fish from them. The people who pay to dock boats also pay for privacy. Once the boats go I fish the docks and have never had a problem. Wabasha and Red Wing are the same.

Ryan P
    Farmington

That makes sense. My folks have a boat there and I’ve never really seen anyone fishing there in the summer time, at least not inside the marina. Might have to give it a try this winter though.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Does anyone know if there are any rules against Ice Fishing in the Lake City Marina or any of the other Marinas on the lake? I always assumed that was not allowed.

I could be wrong here but I think Lake City marina has an aeration system, I dont think they allow people to walk on the ice. Someone will correct me if im wrong.

haleysgold
    SE MN

The aeration is at the mouth of the outside harbor. The rest of the harbor freezes solid and you can fish it without being bothered. Getting a portable down there is a bit of a challenge but can be done.
    I’ve ice fished it but have never done good.
    I see a shack or 2 out there every once in a while but they usually don’t come back twice.
    Fishing on the outside of the breakwater, WI side, can be a bit hairy. I don’t trust the ice on that side and I don’t attempt it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The sailboat harbor and the marina have aerators that help keep some water open but minimally. Get away from the pumps and its fine.

Not much happens for fishing in Lake City’s marina or harbor after ice up. I think there’s some crappie fishing occasionally but have heard that its a fairly late in the day bite and has a short duration. I know that some crappies get taken on Trailer Point too but I don’t think that the bite is very consistent.

The docks can be good fishing at times right up to ice-up but last year higher than normal water and warm water messed things up royally and the year before a decent bite never took off much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.