Pool 3

• hillhiker
    SE MN

Are there any landings open and ready for launching? I saw Hastings had a heck of a snow pile in front of it, and I was hoping to avoid shoveling tomorrow! Has anyone checked Prescott? FishBlood I know you frequent the area, any insight?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Don’t worry, I shoveled for you yesterday.

Called City today, might even be completely clean now.

Don’t forget to drain your trailer please.

Talked to diamond bluff today, that is not cleaned and you won’t make it up the hill.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If you looking for eyes, I wouldn’t spend any time within a few miles of Prescott… Dead as usual this time of year. Gotta travel for fish.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Dam to tracks is closed currently correct?

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

that is considered inland so yes.

hillhiker
    SE MN

You’re the man FBRM, thanks! I guess I can take the shovel and spud bar back out of the truck!

Yeah I’ll be looking for eyes. I have a few spots to check, but I wanted as short of run as possible since it will be the first winter fishing outing for the girlfriend. I dont need her getting too cold before we even wet a line. She’s already asking for a windshield, ha!

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I understand there is a fee for the Prescott Launch? I’ve only used the Hastings launch when I’ve been on Pool 3. Never tried Pool 3 this time of the year, only in the summer and fall. Thought maybe I’d try it on Wednesday.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I understand there is a fee for the Prescott Launch?

There is a steep fee. I think $13 is the lowest and it goes up by boat size.

However, the annual is $35 for a Wisconsin resident and $50 for non-resident.

The office to buy your annual is 800 borner street

Bass-n-Eyes

You wouldn’t know by any chance whether the Hastings launch is open? Also is Pool 3 ice free the whole way down to Lock & Dam 3 or are parts still frozen?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Yes Hastings is completely clear* from lock and dam 2 all the way to Prescott.

*I assume no responsibly for random debris and ice bergs that take out your lower unit while navigating this stretch of water

Bass-n-Eyes

Yes Hastings is completely clear* from lock and dam 2 all the way to Prescott.

*I assume no responsibly for random debris and ice bergs that take out your lower unit while navigating this stretch of water

Thanks Evan, now I just have to figure out how well my Pool 3 fishing knowledge from the summer translates to this time of the year.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Hastings is clear enough to launch a boat as of this last weekend. There was a little snow left you could’ve drove right through and a small ice shelf, but I would guess that will be gone very soon if it isn’t already. I don’t think it would have stopped anyone anyway.

I went to launch on Saturday in Prescott and my boat wouldn’t stay running so I don’t have much info to share. I should have carbs cleaned and reinstalled by this weekend assuming my floats show up. I guess my 2018 season will have to begin on Saturday if I can give up another day of shed hunting!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There was a little snow left you could’ve drove right through and a small ice shelf, but I would guess that will be gone very soon if it isn’t already. I don’t think it would have stopped anyone anyway.

I don’t know bud, the view from the water that small Ice shelf was 12″+ think.

Won’t be long though.

Bass-n-Eyes

I stopped by the Hastings access over lunch and FB&RM is right, there is still an ice shelf at the end of the ramp. Wouldn’t take a lot to clear it but I wouldn’t launch my boat the way it is now. Think I’ll head back to Pool 4 tomorrow.

Attachments:
    1. 20180313_1116501.jpg

hillhiker
    SE MN

It looks better than it was last year when we started using it!

Bass-n-Eyes

The problem is that the shelf is 8″ thick and the water is about a foot deep at the end of it. So if you backed out on it the ice would likely strong enough to hold your trailer until you got to the end where there would be a foot and a half drop. It only sticks out 5 or 6 feet into the river so someone with a spud bar and more ambition than me could clear it with some effort.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It looks better than it was last year when we started using it!

This year this stretch was frozen late December through March 1. She got THICK!

Last year I fished it all winter though I was breaking lots of ice fishing it.

Bass-n-Eyes

Pretty sure Hastings ramp is good to go today. FYI

Thanks for the update, might have to try to get there this weekend. If you see a grey Ranger/red & black stripes, Yamaha motors and a red Talon stop and say hi.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.