Pool 2 Winter CrankBaits

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What are your favorite winter big fish crankbaits?

I have had a hard time fishing cranks in the winter, there’s too many to pick from! If your willing to share, it’ll point me in the right direction to try some tactics i haven’t utilized in the past.

Thanks,

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What are your favorite winter big fish crankbaits?

I have had a hard time fishing cranks in the winter, there’s too many to pick from! If your willing to share, it’ll point me in the right direction to try some tactics i haven’t utilized in the past.

Thanks,

I’m no Pool 2 expert or expert really at any level or location. I stand to learn more here than share probably. With that said I do spend a lot of time on Pool 4 with it in my backyard. The biggest misconception I’ve seen is that fishing cranks is a warm-water only tactic. Clearly you yourself are aware that’s not the case.

In my not so expert experience, I have had success with small original floating Rapalas in natural colors on 3 ways in current seams even in the coldest of temps (you just have to slow down to the point your are essentially holding versus moving). I have a buddy who swears by jointed #4s in spring pre-spawn conditions. I’ve seen him long line them in March with success at speeds just slow enough to create a wobble. His theory is that the jointed baits will sort through the inactive fish and let him cover water. The times I’ve joined him doing this we were running natural colors in 8′ of water. To this day he’s the only person I know tying on a jointed crank before the water hits 50 degrees or substantially more.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I have limited experience in the winter months but when I have on Pool 4 I have used original floating rapalas and flat raps in the 7-9 sizes on 3 ways in current seams, end of wing dams and also middle channel (low, slow flow conditions). As Bucky stated, typically in natural colors and almost standstill.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

If I had to pick just one it’d be a regular Husky Jerk 12 in the Clown pattern. I caught Pool 2 walleyes on this stick bait through December of last year with water temps down to 34 F. My main techniques are casting them over the tops of wing dams or trolling them at 0.5 – 0.8 mph typically in 6-12 FOW over sand and/or rock. Should add this was for night fishing.

I also use the original floating rap on a three way rig. More typically I’ll do this during daylight hours and in deeper water.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

#13 Hit sticks perfect 10’s and #14 husky jerks. I’ve caught a few roads on #18 original floaters as well.

Attachments:
    1. 6B1B10A5-C1D2-45B0-A5A1-047F0F250547.jpeg

2. 5C1ED961-77DC-42A3-A693-C449D1579E72.jpeg

3. 61216404-7FC7-4F55-975E-C5A614184F88.jpeg

john23
    St. Paul, MN

It’s not like crankbaits are just a Pool 2 thing – LOL. And it depends. Are you casting or trolling? How deep? How much current? Honestly, any bait can work. Pick the bait you have the most confidence in and give it a go.

CBMN
    North Metro

FBRM,

My usual is along the lines of what Tim said above. Think sticks and jerk style baits more than cranks per say. All kinds of good options just what you get accustomed to.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The Rapala Shadow Rap Shad Deep was a great bait for me this fall/winter. It’s got more of a stick bait profile and get’s a real wide wobble at very low speeds. Absolutely hammered by walleyes when slow rolling over dams and it was a big fish bait all year for me. It was a good bait to troll as well.

The BX minnows (jointed) were also very good. I use the jointed baits for pitching moreso than trolling. I like the sinking baits where you can determine the depth.

LabDaddy1

Not trying to play anything. Trying to learn something to help me catch more walleyes. Especially them bigger ones. Is that okay with you?

You’re good, man. Lol. Not sure if FBRM had ill intent with that comment…

F-11 original floaters are money, especially in fall for me on the river.

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Playing nice Tbro16?

rotflol
    I’m pretty sure the pros are 3 waying husky jerk style baits slowly up stream in all the pools

I am no pro but have had better luck with bass style jerk baits than I have with husky jerks on a 3way. Standard F series rapala’s are most common I believe but I prefer small flashy bass baits. If I run a suspending jerk bait in 04-09 size I would plan to use 1-1.5 oz weight in low to moderate current to start and heavier if needed in high or deep water. 14-18 inch drop with 32-36 inches of line out to the bait. And yes, this works on all pools of the mississippi and the croix. All but Pool 2. There are no pan lizard in that section.. They all swam down to P3.. haha.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.