Pontoon trolling motor

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I’m looking at getting a 20′ pontoon, and I would like to put a ultrex trolling motor on it. Any reason to go to a 112# 36v? Or will a 80# 24v be just fine? Looking at 52″ but need to measure yet. Probably won’t spend much time on the river, just want to spot lock in a little breeze and troll around a little. Where are the best deals on ultrexes? Is it worth going refurbished? Thanks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a 12 volt powerdrive on my 20 foot toon and have never felt underpowered.
    We troll with it all the time. I can go several weekends without charging but in reality we may troll for up to an hour per weekend and also use it to position the boat. I have used it to fish the weed edges for years and it has never fallen short. My point is you would probably be fine with a 24v.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

That’s what I was thinking. Only like $100 difference so I was just checking.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Welcome to precision pontoon fishing! My wife and I call it fishing from the living room. The ultimate comfort.

tornadochaser

I’m adding an 80 pound 24V trolling motor to our 22′ pontoon next spring. toons actually glide really nice with a TM as long as its not really windy.

Brad J Kvanbek

I have a homemade swim raft 12×16 with 16 plastic 55 gallon drums. I am planning on putting on a 24 volt trolling motor. I can get a new old model 65# or 72# Minn Kota Maxxum for about half the cost of the new model Traxxis. Does anyone know the difference in models? What would you buy?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What do you plan on doing with the raft besides swimming?

Brad J Kvanbek

We are on a 20 acre no internal combustion engine lake. So we would cruise around and fish too.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Do you really want a cable drive? Or just the price range? Power drive?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Love fishing from the toon.

Suzuki – Do you have the trolling motor on the front or rear?

Brad, you will need to get a boat license. My buddy found out the hard way. He put a trolling motor on a peddle boat and the CO ripped into him.

Brad J Kvanbek

Dusty, I want a transom mount. I am in Minnetrista too.

Eelpoutguy, I know what they want, I don’t plan on giving it to them.

Brad J Kvanbek

Why transom mount? Simple, cheaper takes up less room.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Love fishing from the toon.

Suzuki – Do you have the trolling motor on the front or rear?

Brad, you will need to get a boat license. My buddy found out the hard way. He put a trolling motor on a peddle boat and the CO ripped into him.

Front. Battery in rear.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t think the Ultrex is capable of being mounted on the transom. The cable to the pedal is relatively short too.

Lynn Seiler

I think 52” may be too short. And remember, pulling is easier to control than pushing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.