Pontoon Question – HP needed for tubing/skiing?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

My parents have a 22′ pontoon that currently has a 40hp e-tec, which is not enough to pull kids tubing. They are debating about either buying a new pontoon or reporting their current one to a 90hp (it’s rated for 100hp). The re-power will be significantly cheaper as compared to buying a new pontoon with a 100-150hp outboard.

Does anyone know how a 22′ pontoon would do with a 90hp engine, pulling kids on a tube. Ultimately I would like to be able to pull kids skiing as well. Adult skiing would be a plus, but I have my boat for adults if needed (I would need to trailer it there from up north so not easy access).

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Tubing with a 90 – Yes. You will probably be hard pressed to hurt someone though. Skiing – Probably. Smaller kids on 2 skis will probably pop out of the water ok if the pontoon isn’t full of riders.

JoeMX1825
    MN

if repowering, they should put on the max HP rated for the pontoon…

Aaron Kalberer

My parents 22′ pontonn has a 90hp. It is a crestliner with the lifting strakes which are metal fins that make the pontoon “get up on plane”. It does about 23 mph so tubing is ok and skiing on 2 skis would work ok as well. It is a big heavy pontoon with 26″ tubes and is loaded to the gills so it weighs quite a bit. If you were looking for something faster you would need to go to the 150hp pontoon which is significantly faster. No matter what pontoon or power option you get they are not an ideal mode of towing, but for kids they will get the job done.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My MIL just bought a 22′ Montego Bay with a 90 Etec this past summer. It pulled our 6-year old on skis just fine (to be honest, he has no problem skiing behind a 14′ Alumacraft with a 15 horse). I (210 lbs) was able to ski behind it with 2 skis. It tops out in the low 20s, so slaloming would be very tough unless the skier is quite small.

Here’s a pic of my son behind it.

Attachments:
    1. 20180714_161950.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m not a pontoon guy, but when my parents retired they picked up a 23′ Premier tri-tune with a 200 Verado. Way overkill IMO, but it will hit the mid-30’s pretty easily. They pull the grandkids around all day long and they love it.

You need to take fuel consumption into consideration when tubing with a pontoon. A heavy boat like a pontoon, no matter the motor, will absolutely gulp fuel like a college kid with a beer bong at ski/tubing speeds.

By the HP rating, I’m guessing it’s a dual tune boat and I imagine a 90hp motor could push it into the low to mid 20’s, like Aaron said.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Thanks for the info.

If I was to re-power, do I need to look for a certain type of outboard or gear ratio (like a bigfoot)? I have seen a few new 90hp Yami 4-strokes for sale for a decent price.

milemark_714

If they like the Etec,I would look into the 90HO.It would beat the pants off anything in it’s class.

Honest John
    Western Wisconsin

10 years ago we bought a new bigger pontoon in order to take our kids and grandkids. It’s rated for 15 passengers, and it is 25 feet long. It came with a 70 hp Suzuki. When we bought it, I never imagined we would water ski behind it. It pulls 2oo pound me. I cannot get up on one ski behind this 70 hp, but once I am up on 2 skis, I can drop one. My 240 pound son can get up on two skis, but if he drops a ski, he sinks. 10 year old grandson skis on small kid’s skis. It takes a lot of technique to whip the tube with only 70 up. Boat is definitely underpowered for water sports. I think a 115 on it would be adequate, but a 150 would be awesome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.