Pontoon has too much drag

• Michael Schenk

I have a 220c Ranger pontoon and with just myself in the boat I top out at 28mph. Is there any way to get more speed out of it? It originally comes with a 115 mercury and seems to to sit very low in the rear.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I would say you’re pretty close to topped out. You could probably try moving the motor up a hole, but high 20s is probably the best you will do. It’s a pontoon anyways. Find the most economical cruising speed and focus on that. For me it’s at about 22-24mph.

I’ve got a Cypress Cay 23’ tritoon with a 150 on it (and lifting strakes). I get about 34mph with me and my 110# wife and a half tank of gas. My motor is about 2” lower than it needs to be which could get me a couple more mph. As soon as I throw in a couple of coolers and 8 or 9 people I quickly lose top end to only 28-29mph.

B-man

I have a 220c Ranger pontoon and with just myself in the boat I top out at 28mph. Is there any way to get more speed out of it? It originally comes with a 115 mercury and seems to to sit very low in the rear.

What are you getting for Max RPM’s?

Make sure you’re propped correctly and not lugging the motor.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

have a 220c Ranger pontoon and with just myself in the boat I top out at 28mph. Is there any way to get more speed out of it? It originally comes with a 115 mercury and seems to to sit very low in the rear.

Son-in-law has the 220F and he gets about the same top end. Rigged out Ranger’s specs say the 220C and 220F both weigh 4193 lbs.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I agree. I don’t think you’re going to go much faster.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Too much drag that you’ve noticed recently or what you may think is too much drag?

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I had a buddy that put tin sheeting lenghtwise underneath the entire length of the toon that gave him a few more (5?) MPH. The cross braces on his acted like a baffle and created drag that slowed him down (this was his thought). It worked well for him and he was happy with the improvement.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Ranger’s specs say the 220C and 220F both weigh 4193 lbs.

I don’t think 28 MPH is bad with 4200+ lb (this is dry weight) and only a 115 on it. Add beer, gas, and my fat a$$ and you will be over 4500 lb.

Michael Schenk

The motor is a 150 and it usually comes with a 115. The weight of the motor makes it sit lower in the back than normal. The boat tops out at 28 mph. I am thinking if I put a whale tail on the motor it may help pick the back up enough to stop the drag.

B-man

Any water in the toons?

Are you trimming up?

Are you reaching max RPM’s for your outboard with a light to moderate load?

Is this a new problem or existing?

Prop in perfect condition?

Is the outboard mounted too low?

Before you go with a band-aid, make sure there isn’t a cure.

According to this video, you should hit 32+ mph with a 150 and light load

Is your 28mph speed read with a GPS or a dash mounted water pressure sensor (which typically read a few miles an hour lower than true GPS speed, so you could very well be at peak performance already)

Deuces

Agent in Hollywood: “yes we just got news there’s too much drag on a boat..”

RuPaul stands up, “hold my beer”.

Bret Carter

I bought a 2023 Ranger 220FC. It dragged too. THE MOTOR POD HAD NO COVER OR FLASHING ON THE FRONT HALF. It filled up with water and could not drain to the rear because the fuel bladder takes up most of the space. This made the boat sit low in the water. water would flow over the diverter lip on the pod and submerge the fuel bladder in the water. Ranger initially said, “it’s designed that way”. I had 5.5 hrs on it and had to pull it out of the water. Waiting 4 to 6 weeks on a kit to put a lid on the motor pod and add water diverting flashing, to a new boat. The Tracker fishing barge has the cover and flashing, why not the Ranger? I also had speakers not hooked up, trim gauge not hooked up, and upholstery was sewn to look like 3 miles of winding road. When the boat sags in water, water flushes up under the Livewell drain hole and floods the rear deck, flowing over my battery switch and battery tender, I’m sure it’s toast too. This is what $60K gets you with Ranger.

gary d
    cordova,il

I had a Misty Harbour a few years back and it had too much drug also. It was hard to steer left or right at high speed. I rise the motor and it made all the world of different.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

It’s a pontoon…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.