Polymer cased ammo

• Stanley

I was talking to an active duty military guy that works at camp ripley this weekend and he said some of the snipers are using polymer cased ammo. The base is brass but the rest polymer. Sounded like mostly a success but there is still some issues to work out. Mostly since the case doesn’t expand like brass does there is some pressure loss so the head space needs to be tighter. Said it was much cheaper to produce. Will be interesting to see if this makes its way into the civilian market if it becomes more popular in the military.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It will be a long time–if ever–before there is any significant amount of polymer-cased ammo in the civilian market. The main military interest in polymer ammo is the weight savings, which in large quantities is a significant advantage for the military. But for the civilian market, even the most diehard, weight-cutting mountain hunter can only save a few ounces with the amount of ammo he would generally carry into the backcountry. And those few ounces would come at a significant cost. There are other military-specific advantages to polymer-cased ammo, but none of these will matter to a civilian market.

There is probably a case to be made for how dimensionally consistent polymer cases are, but again that comes at a significant cost. Also, it is a myth that you can’t get brass cases this consistent, you certainly can, it just comes down to money.

Also, anyone shooting enough to really utilize these ultra-precise cases will probably also be loading their own ammo to make the most precise, rifle-matched rounds they can. I have seen nothing that says polymer cases can be reloaded and even if they can, likely it will require significant changes in equipment. And this will, of course, come at a huge cost.

I saw a cost estimate for polymer-cased ammo back 3-4 years ago that estimated that polymer cases would add $15-20 to the cost of the average preimum box of ammo. So fast forward to 2024 prices, even using the low end, that’s a huge cost addition for the already sky-high ammo prices. That would put even common hunting ammo like 06 and 6.5 CM at $70-90+ a box PLUS TAX! Yikes.

Stanley

The way he explained it to me was it is supposed to be more consistent since the polymer doesn’t heat up like brass when fired so less powder could be used. He said it was cheaper but didn’t know if it could be reloaded. The snipers were the only ones with this ammo. Just thought it was a cool idea but your right it would be a long road if ever to get into civilian production.

Riverrat

I’ve seen both the 6.8 and 308 at the range so its out there commercially. Not sure how much it costs, but the guy with the 6.8 probably didn’t care judging from what I know his rifle retails for.

grpubl7
    Central WI

I once worked directly for the vendor that produced polymer cased ammo in GA (PolyCase Ammo). Rifle cases are a hard pass for me. Pistol cases are a “maybe” due to far lower chamber pressures. Polymer projectiles (like the Inceptor ARX) are another hard pass.

I cannot even get excited about the bi-metal pistol cases for a number of reasons.

My advice? Stick to quality brass cases and be happy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.