Polar Fox Fish House

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Anyone here own or fished out of a Polar Fox fish House? I have a buddy who purchased a wheeled fish house a few winters ago, only to end up selling it rather quickly. He just decided the whole wheel house thing was not for him. He’s been thinking of getting a Skid house the last year or so. He just wants something lighter that he can move around with a wheeler in necessary. Him and his wife are up looking at a Polar Fox house today in Pine River. I had never seen or even heard about Polar Fox. Looking at their web site, it looks like they have some really nice houses. They are made out of mostly a composite materials. I guess this makes them both lightweight and strong. They look to have some cool features and options available. Just curious if anyone here has, or has taken a look at them. Interested in your thoughts.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I have not seen one firsthand, but they sure do look nice. I think if you had a place on a lake, or felt comfortable leaving it on the ice, they would be the ticket. They look like something that would last a lifetime.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have not seen one firsthand, but they sure do look nice. I think if you had a place on a lake, or felt comfortable leaving it on the ice, they would be the ticket. They look like something that would last a lifetime.

The only worry I would have is with the light weight or some of them is it possibly blowing over or away. I think if left on the ice I would need to find a Anchor system for it.

Dan Kane

Not sure if Chris Beberg (beberg outdoors)owns it or not but he is a class act. Ordered an alumalite from him years ago and he was great to work with. His guys did all the finishing and we must have had dozens of emails and phone calls from start to finish. Never made me feel like I was taking up his time. The fact that he has gone all in with Polar makes me think they are a quality shack. I will be considering one when I upgrade for sure.

For those considering a light weight skid house and are concerned about blowing away etc, I have two alumalite houses at the lake and they stay on the ice all season long. Never had an issue with the wind. Of course we bank em pretty good.

MX1825

Dan how hard are they to dig out after freezing in after not being moved for a month?

Ripjiggen

It’s not going to blow away or tip over.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dan how hard are they to dig out after freezing in after not being moved for a month?

Simple, put them on Dunage ( blocking) so they don’t freeze to the ice. Then just chisel the bank away. We ran a custom cottage for a long time on Chisago

Dan Kane

To be honest, I don’t know. Never had them freeze in. Always have them up on foot long pieces of 4×4 blocks. 2 or 3 to a side. We have a low car Jack that we “pop” it off the blocks with. Jack it up in front, knock out the blocks, set it back down and repeat on the rear. Set it back down and pull away.

Occasionally, the bigger ones don’t want to move after being set back down. Usually due to it being a smaller machine pulling with low traction. But we found that putting a two foot section of 2 or 3 inch pvc about 1/3 of the way back from the pulling side under the skids, it gets going with ease. We do this when we have it jacked up to remove the blocking. Then you are off to the races.

Mind you, I’m only talking about Alumalite houses but I’d guess the same principles would apply to any of the lighter skid houses.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

I have a 6.5×10 ProFab skid that is the same style as the Polar Fox ones (basically the panels used in the CORE ICE houses). One of my fishing buddies up at the cabin has the matching twin, we bought them at the same time. For what we do, they are great. Early ice without snow they are easy enough to push out by hand. Tow with a wheeler once snow gets deeper and this year I’ll have a Ranger to use. I have a boat swivel chair and a jacknife sofa in mine, the neighbor uses old office chairs. I use a regular buddy heater for heat, put it on high to warm it up and then the rest of the day is pretty much on pilot.

Unless you plan on running and gunning, we always block up. Haven’t had any issues with tipping or sliding once in place.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20221210_2040548962.jpg

Nodakk

The wheel houses are brand new this year. They’ve had the skids for a while now. Seem very nice for the die hard fisherman. Just like Core though, they are very pricey.

MX1825

Thanks BC and Dan.

There is a company in Central WI building a couple models of light skid houses.
    Company name is Amhush Outdoor Products if anyone is interested.

Dan Kane

Well, I’ve started to talk with Chris about putting an order together for a polar fox skid house to have ready for next year. Anyone fish out of one yet? Just wondering if there is anything to consider as must have’s etc. I’m doing an empire heater. 6.5 x 14 and planning on all 7 holes in a line for live scope if we want. Couch/bench on one side and open on the other for fold out chairs I think. Going to keep it fairly simple, no microwave etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.