Plumbing question

• JasonP
    Twin Cities

Doing a bathroom remodel. Had new floor and plumbing installed and the plumbers set the toilet flange about 3/4-7/8″ below the finished tile. Everywhere I look says the flange should sit on top of the finished floor. The plumbers are saying it will be fine just double up the wax ring.

Thoughts/opinions on this? Seems like a “hack” for an improper installation.

thx in advance – JP

Lou W

Have them redo it. While it may be possible to seal it using two wax rings…..it’s not right

duh queen

Have them fix it. Don’t pay them until they do. And if they don’t file a complaint with their state licensing body.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I’d be ticked about that and make them fix it. Nothing like putting a bandaid over a severed arm.
    A week or so ago when we were on vacation my son was staying at our house and was having trouble with the outdoor faucet. He couldnt get it to turn off. Apparently we left it on when we left but there was a spray nozzle on the end so it wasnt spraying. Anyway, I wanted to replace both the front and back to new valves and had an outfit come out. Since we werent around to watch what they did, when I came home it was an absolute mess. They had to cut a hole in the ceiling to replace the front one and sheetrock dust everywhere. Now I cannot even run a sprinkler in the back because I am assuming the water volume has dropped since they also installed a shutoff valve. Not too happy to say the least.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

At this point, you might have to get those flange extenders to get it at least level with the top of the finished floor

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That’s not acceptable and any home that I build. Redo

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Now I cannot even run a sprinkler in the back because I am assuming the water volume has dropped since they also installed a shutoff valve. Not too happy to say the least.

Are you saying they installed a shut-off valve and covered it with drywall?

HRG

Coletrain27

pretty common for them to sit flush with the floor or just below. thats why they make taller wax rings for this exact reason and the foam ones have layers you can take off them or add to them to whatever height you need. they make toilet flange spacers also…

CaptainMusky

Are you saying they installed a shut-off valve and covered it with drywall?

HRG

No, they cut a hole (making all the mess) and then put an access panel over it. The lines never had shutoff valves on them previously. Now they upgraded to the newer style anti-siphon faucets too. It probably would have been better if they installed the shut off valves in the utility room, but they had to cut a hole anyway to install the new faucet.

Coletrain27

. Since we werent around to watch what they did, when I came home it was an absolute mess. They had to cut a hole in the ceiling to replace the front one and sheetrock dust everywhere.

i just have to ask, why wouldnt you of just waited until you got home from vacation? ???

CaptainMusky

i just have to ask, why wouldnt you of just waited until you got home from vacation?

Because my son couldnt get the back faucet to turn off and I was worried that since it was still on and sitting in the baking sun all day it might actually burst the hose at some point. There was so much pressure built up he couldnt turn the knob at all.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The words “spacer” and “shim” in construction mean… I can’t measure… doah jester

Coletrain27

The words “spacer” and “shim” in construction mean… I can’t measure… doah jester

thats what happens when you put tile over a floor that wasnt tile before coffee

big_g
    Isle, MN

Had new floor and plumbing installed and the plumbers set the toilet flange about 3/4-7/8″ below the finished tile.

Not what the poster said… and who has 3/4 or 7/8 inch tile ??? doah

Coletrain27

Had new floor and plumbing installed and the plumbers set the toilet flange about 3/4-7/8″ below the finished tile.

you ever laid tile? you have the thickness of the tile, the thin set, also alot of times the wire mesh under it. also if the floor was not perfectly level the floor guy may of had to build up the area around the toilet with extra thinset to level out the floor. so yea it can be 7/8″ easily

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not so much. But I get the joke

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This is how all ours are when tile goes in. Plumber was in about 2 months before tile

Attachments:
    1. 0A39CAF5-74D7-419D-A044-EE1FA6EB79F7.jpeg

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Funny when people say this. Like uhh I’m remodeling to make it look better. Not worse…

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

This is how all ours are when tile goes in. Plumber was in about 2 months before tile

That must be for one of them-there wall-hung toilets! (Sorry Randy!)

HRG

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Featured in RUE Magazine, September 2020. Toilet is remote control, heated, auto lid and seat….. $$$$$$

Attachments:
    1. image-3-scaled.jpg

2. image-2-scaled.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

you ever laid tile? you have the thickness of the tile, the thin set, also alot of times the wire mesh under it. also if the floor was not perfectly level the floor guy may of had to build up the area around the toilet with extra thinset to level out the floor. so yea it can be 7/8″ easily

I have… as a plumber should know…its literally knowing that a floor will be finished and by what product and measuring. Not rocket science.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Right guys – to be clear, all the old plumbing and all the old floor was removed.

They installed a new sub-floor and then the plumbers came in and roughed in the plumbing. However, during rough in they also installed the flange and screwed it directly on top of the sub-floor.

Now add in the backer, thin set, and tile and it is sitting way below the finished floor. Wasn’t like they didn’t know where the floor was going to be approximately. We had already selected the tile.

Seems like normally you would want to rough in the waste pipe and leave it sticking way up above the floor… then come in after the floor is finished and cut it off and install the flange, no?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If tile guys are using backer board, there not good tile guys.
    We do over 125 bathrooms a year and haven’t use backer board in 10 years

big_g
    Isle, MN

yes, typically they leave it up above the finished possibilities and the flange is put on flush when the flooring is done.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

If tile guys are using backer board, there not good tile guys.
    We do over 125 bathrooms a year and haven’t use backer board in 10 years

It’s been a few years since I’ve done any DIY tile. Is it all detaching membrane now?

Nicholas Bucknell
    Austin MN

As a plumber of 20 plus years in commercial construction. We always stub the pipe up through the subfloor and cut it off flush with the finish floor and glue it on. Stubbing up 4 inch pipe makes it really easy as you can get a 4 by 3 closet flange that glues inside of 4” pipe. Secure the flange down and 1 normal wax ring does the trick. With the flange below finish floor and using more wax rings you will likely have an issue down the road. Sure it will work for now.
    Wax rings deteriorates over time.
    Hope this helps

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yes
    Better to use an uncoupling mat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Plumber should of asked about finish floor height when roughing in the plumbing. About the same as asking about center lines and other measurements. Going to be a mess to fix right now. What are they going to fill the gap in with under the flange? Flange needs to sit flush with finished floor or on it. Ideally on it. Make sure the collar is well secured to or that toilet will come loose and leak.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yeah, I’d be ticked about that and make them fix it. Nothing like putting a bandaid over a severed arm.
    A week or so ago when we were on vacation my son was staying at our house and was having trouble with the outdoor faucet. He couldnt get it to turn off. Apparently we left it on when we left but there was a spray nozzle on the end so it wasnt spraying. Anyway, I wanted to replace both the front and back to new valves and had an outfit come out. Since we werent around to watch what they did, when I came home it was an absolute mess. They had to cut a hole in the ceiling to replace the front one and sheetrock dust everywhere. Now I cannot even run a sprinkler in the back because I am assuming the water volume has dropped since they also installed a shutoff valve. Not too happy to say the least.

Other than the mess it sounds like the repair was done correctly. All lawn faucets are required to have inside shutoffs. They are also required to have a vacuum breaker. Only way a license plumber can put them in.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.