Plowed roads to the nw angle

• Spencer Haugen

I heard a rumor that there might be a plowed road that will run all the way up to the angle has anyone else hear about this?

MNdrifter

Yeah. It was on FB. I can’t seem to find it now though. Tons of locals p’d about it. I’m assuming they don’t want all the wheel houses up there. I’d be interested, I’d never venture 30 miles across the ice with my wheelhouse though.

munchy
    NULL

I’d never venture 30 miles across the ice with my wheelhouse though.

Axle and frame repair service trucks will make a killing!

Charles

That would be kind of cool, I would assume there be a cost for it?

CaptainMusky

Its getting pretty ridiculous out there the last several years. The South Shore resorts reaching all the way out to Garden Island or dang close. We have stayed at Long Pt and would ride our snowmobiles to Garden around a 20 mile trek. One year after bashing our kidneys to a pulp we took a break about a mile short of our destination only to look over and see a Buick Lesabre bombing across the lake to our East. Sure enough there was a plowed road right out to it.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

One year after bashing our kidneys to a pulp we took a break about a mile short of our destination only to look over and see a Buick Lesabre bombing across the lake

jester jester

MNdrifter

One year after bashing our kidneys to a pulp we took a break about a mile short of our destination only to look over and see a Buick Lesabre bombing across the lake to our East. Sure enough there was a plowed road right out to it.

rotflol that’d pi$$ a guy off.

jumpingeorge

plan is for a road from Springsteel to the Angle, cutting across land at Stony Point. I’d guess this will be an extremely rough trail, especially on land but that route from Springsteel to Stony always has at least 2 major pressure ridges to cross. Doable on snowmobile no problem, trucks are a different story. They say they aren’t allowing wheelhouses, that the road is for people to access the resorts only but we’ll see. Cost was stated at $165 but it didn’t say if that was per trip or season or what.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

that would be impressive!

On a side note
    is it legal to drive a vehicle or boat across the canadian line to get to where you are heading? i know it is a big deal crossing a rez line but this would be just crossing it, not actually fishing across it.

Jason

I have checked with the border patrol in Warroad – You cannot drive into Canada via the ice legally. They deem it the same as land. You must use a border crossing that is open even to get to Buffalo Point Resort.

On a side note we where field hunting waterfowl in ND a few weeks back 50 yards off the Canada boarder and we had the border patrol helicopter hover right over us at first light to make sure we knew where we where at. Some of the decoys tipped over from the turbulence while I was taking cover in my layout blind. The closest border crossing was approx 30 miles away and we could see the copper coming in the dark.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Never ice fished LOTW. Only up there once in open water and barely even fished (long story). So to say I know next to nothing about the lake would be an understatement.

I bought a snowmobile this year and part of the reason for it was to be able to tackle LOTW a little easier. In early ice, people fish the first break along the MN shoreline, correct? Then as winter/ice progresses I assume the wheelhouses move out to some flats well offshore? Is it normal for guys on sleds to be able to drive across the lake to the garden island area or the distance/ridges typically keep them away from it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.