Plot Planting Begins!

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I was up to the Midwest Monster home farm near Hinckley, MN on Saturday (5/2) and I actually managed to get some planting done. This is the earliest I’ve been able to plant anything for the last 7 years.

We got over an inch of rain in the preceding week, so when I got to the farm and looked at the plots, I thought it was going to be a no-go. There were puddles on my access roads and the soil looked very damp in all plots.

My goal was to plant a cover crop of oats and peas on a 2-acre portion of one of my larger plots. This spot will host our Brassicas Bender mix later in the summer, but for now I just wanted cover crop the area with a disc-down crop of oats and Lynx forage peas to give some organics back to the soil. I was really eager to get this planted as this is the first time in years that it’s been possible to plant a cover crop that would have enough growing time to do any good.

Well, it didn’t look good, but I hooked up the 8 foot Howse HD disc to the ol’ Deere and decided to give it a go. To be honest, the only thing I expected was to get stuck, the Deere has good tires on her, but she’s not 4 wheel drive, so traction is limited.

It was right on the edge the whole time. I was slipping a little in low spots and going up hills, but not spinning. I had my hand on the 3 point “up” lever the whole time to make sure I could lift the disc if I started to lose traction. My luck held and by 11:00 I was able to disc the whole target area except for 1 small low spot without getting stuck.

With the wind gusting 15 to 20, the newly turned soil dried quickly and by 3:00 I was on the ATV with the broadcaster hooked up and I started spreading. I did 100 pounds of oats and 100 pounds of peas in this plot. Yes, this is a pretty heavy dose of seed, but it will not get to maturity so I wanted to go this heavy to achieve maximum plant density. No use planting a cover crop that does not cover, in other words.

At 4:30 it was all planted and I used a disc to bury the seed. Then my oldest son ran the roller over the whole plot until the dreaded “throttle thumb” made him throw in the towel about 4 rounds from the end, so I finished. He’s doing thumb exercises every day this week to get pumped for next time.

So a very good day! Nice to get some early planting done, next week I’m on to planting Eagle Forage Soybeans and Real World Gen 2 soybeans.

Grouse

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200502_171142161_HDR.jpg

2. IMG_20200502_151838026.jpg

3. IMG_20200502_175002597.jpg

4. IMG_20200502_132533733.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

WTG FG. Well fed deer are happy deer. Happy deer stay put!

fishingchallenged

Nice looking plot! Makes my little open spots in the woods look pretty rough.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.