Please help my teenage son on 1st trip to LOTW

• mndadandson

My teenage boy will be with a high school group for a week starting June 16th.
    They will be spending 4 days on Oak Island (Laketrails Base camp) and 5 days paddling on trail.
    My boy loves to fish.

The counselor said there will be opportunities to fish, mostly from shore. He will be limited to bringing a collapsible pole and a small tackle box perhaps 8′ by 5′ inches. He will be using a 6 1/2 foot medium action Ugly Stick. Right now it is strung with 8 or 10 lb fireline. It has a 12 inch steel leader and snap swivel attached (set up for northern). I have always set up the gear so he has no real experience tying on hooks and tackle. He loves to fish for northern, but if others are catching walleye, bass or pan-fish what are the options?

Should I try to stuff a 2-6 lbs mono leader in the tiny tackle box and have him switch out clipping on to the ball bearing snap swivel?

Also with the limited room what would you suggest for lures. bobbers etc. considering he wont be cutting the line and stringing on a slip bobber. Not sure if he will have access to live bait.

He has absolutely killed Northern on a black and yellow tandem musky spinner bait on the St Croix river. I don’t even know if that would fit in a tackle box that size. Any tips for color/lure, spinner, jig choices?

Thanks for the help!

David Blais

Great northern and musky action up on oak island. Maybe a large meps and a couple daredevils. A 3/8 jig and mister twister wouldn’t hurt either

Ron
    Victoria, mn

He’s a teenager and he likes fishing, so now would be a good time to teach him to tie knots. The Palomar is good for Fireline and the Uni knot and improved clinch knot are both good for mono.
    Basic shore fishing tackle without live bait would be jigs and twister tails/boot tail swimbaits, beetle spins, Rapalas, spoons. He’ll have fun, even if the weather doesn’t cooperate.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve caught a lot of fish in the NW Angle on a chartreuse or orange jig with a white twister tail. It’s easy and they eat it. Try a 1/4 ounce head and a 3” white tail. Shad raps also come to mind as a good option. A smaller size storm 360 search bait will also catch just about anything that swims (basically an expensive jig and paddle tail but it works).

I agree that he should learn knots and the palomar is an excellent idea. With a double palomar he can even tie the fire line directly. You don’t need anything lighter than 8# mono. And he should expect to get snags and possibly bitten off so practice those knots and send extra jigs.

mndadandson

So…
    No live bait.

I was now informed the tackle “box” can be no larger than 6″x 4″x 1″.

So the tandem spinner uses a great deal of the space.

I smashed in:
    -Tandem spinner…smaller pike/muskie
    -a smaller size storm 360 search bait and 2 extra plastics.
    -(5) 3 inch twister tails (3 white, 2 chartreuse)
    -5 snaps
    -(3) 1/4 oz jig heads; (2) 1/2 oz
    -mimic minnow spin in 2 colors
    -1 mepps tipped with twister
    -“weedless’ spoon
    -gold and black spinner
    -small 8 lb mono leader
    -rattle rap and a shad rap swimmer
    – forceps for removing hooks

I know the trip is not primarily for fishing, but my boy loves to fish. It would kill him to be on that lake and not spend some time fishing. The guides will have some gear. Thanks for the tips!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.