Plastics for jig trailers when why what kind.

• mrpike1973

When using Bass jigs with a skirt when is it best to use a swim tail, a flat craw or a lizard type trailer. I mostly just put on a Christie YUM craw but maybe that has to much thump to it this early in the year. I have used Powerbait craws but they get ate up fast. Just trying to up my game a little better. Starting to use bass jigs more and more. Mostly swim them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I never put a swim tail on anything besides a swing jig that I’m casting and retrieving. I use all sorts of crawl from small to bigger on all my flipping jigs and my heavier jigs I’m dragging deeper water with. The size and brand vary. I can not recall the ones I was led to by grubson, smaller profile and very durable. I’ll look when I go out to the garage. I rarely use lizard baddie but I will throw those Texas rigged. Z Mann obviously from the other thread makes very good jig trailers. I never use the little 2 flapper jig trailers I just down size craw, and other bug form plastics. Strike king rage craw is a go to, and missions sweet Beaver and others.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I used to really struggle with the jig, now it’s something I find myself doing as a first choice.
    I’ll use bigger more floppy jigs when the water is warmer and you can hop them and work them a little faster. My bigger fish tend to come on a jig. The last few times out I’ve been running a smaller profile jig working it slowly on a sandy bottom and have gotten a few fish but I struggle working them slow which has been my case the last week

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I am by no means a jig expert but over the past two years I have become proficient. I either use a full rage bug or craw if I want a large profile or if I want a smaller profile or am using a finesse jig I will bite off half of the body of the rage bug/craw or use a Zoom Chunk. Every now and then I will use a double tail grub from yamamoto to switch things up.

Only time I use a swim tail with a jig is on a swim jig.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t fish a jig as much as others and not near as much as I should. I have started to use them more and more the last few years. My go to recently is the mission baits D Bomb. To be honest I really don’t fish a traditional jig. I mainly fish a skirted weight with a wide gap hook with the D bomb attached. This setup seems to come through heavy cover a little better and I think it’s a little different profile than all the normal jigs that B.A.S.S. see a ton of

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

The SK Rage Bug slays this time of year. The SK Menace Grub and Z-Man Billy Goat for skipping docks.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t fish a jig as much as others and not near as much as I should. I have started to use them more and more the last few years. My go to recently is the mission baits D Bomb. To be honest I really don’t fish a traditional jig. I mainly fish a skirted weight with a wide gap hook with the D bomb attached. This setup seems to come through heavy cover a little better and I think it’s a little different profile than all the normal jigs that B.A.S.S. see a ton of

Those Missile plastics are really nice. I like the Ned Bomb on the unlikely chance I have to use a ned. They have some really nice molds.

Spoon Minnow

I don’t need any other than three trailers for my skirted jigs – two that I pour into plaster molds of the originals.
    Uncle Josh Frog in 2 sizes: #11 and #1 and
    Craw trailer
    Claw trailer (made by taking the claw off a craw lure and attaching it to a flat body.)

The three also catch fish rigged on a no-skirt ball head jig.

Attachments:
    1. frog-copies.jpg

2. claw-trailer.jpg

3. Frog-trailer.jpg

4. craw-trailer.jpg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Berkeley crazy legs chigger craw black w/ blue flake. My Tx rig bait as well. I probably need to diversify, im a creature of habit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.