place to stay snowmobiling day trip

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

With this snow we are getting I would like to take a few people out snowmobiling next week mid week. I would like to head north of the cities and keep it around 1-1.5 hours of the north metro. It looks like Mille Lacs should get some of this snow so I was looking around there and not really finding what I am looking for. Ideal situation is a hotel on/close to the trails and have a bar/restaurant onsite or walking distance with room for loading/unloading of the sleds. I’m not set on that area and am open to look at other places that you recommend. Thanks

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The Crosby area has a lot of trails. Between Emily and outing there is a small motel, can’t remember the name of hand, but there is a pickled loon just across hwy 6. The trail is right there and I see a lot of sleds being unloaded there

It’s the wigwam. There is also a resort right on Emily lake you could check out.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I got ya glenn –

Home

Maybe not - Wigwam.
    Emily, MN

glenn57
    cold spring mn

:waytogo: :waytogo: :!:

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Probably a little farther but my vote would be Moose Lake up 35W. We trailered there and stayed at a little motel. Lots of trails there and a couple places to get food and drinks.

B-man

There’s tons of places in NW Wisconsin, the farther you go, the more there are and the better/cool the trail systems get.

Multiple places to stay in Siren, Hertel, Danbury, Cumberland, Shell Lake, Spooner, Hayward, etc. There’s thousands of miles of trails in those counties.

If you’re looking for something a little closer, check out the Blacksmith Shop in Balsam Lake and a few places in Turtle Lake. Frederic and Milltown are worth looking into as well. The trails aren’t as “cool” as they are farther north, but still plenty to ride and amenities in all the towns you ride to. Polk county has 400 miles of trails to explore.

Closer yet, look at Chisago County in Minnesota. We have a decent trail system (120 miles) and it’s even closer to you. There’s places in North Branch just a few blocks off the main trail.

Nodakk

Plenty of places around the Brainerd lakes area. However most of the “snow” we have now is rock hard. And we are not supposed to get 2’ this week like the cities

The_Bladepuller
    South end

The Mille Lacs Drift Skippers groom a large trail area.
    McQuoids Inn is just north of Isle on 47. No bar / restaurant on site but Isle is a mile away.
    Izatys is between Wahkon & 169. I think their hotel is open & also the B & R is in a seperate blding but on site.
    Both the Wahkon Inn & Muggs in Wahkon do a huge business with sleds. The co-owner of Muggs is the Pres of Drift Skippers & the is a loop of mountain sledding out in BC playing all the time.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Great suggestions so far, this gives me something to look into.

Last year we did northern WI, that is my preferred place to ride since I grew up riding that area. But with the need to have a trail pass even with WI registration I plan to stick to MN this year so we don’t have to buy a bunch of trail passes.

blackbay
    mn

The Moose Lake area has some great trails.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would try Hunters Point Resort. They have everything you listed. :peace: :mrgreen:

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I would try Hunters Point Resort. They have everything you listed. peace mrgreen

Can’t beleive I didn’t think of them since I used to go there all the time, great idea. Thanks

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I believe this isthe weekend of the big Perch shindig.
    I’d call to check.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’d call to check.

Yep it’s gonna be a zoo, so unless you looking for a packed bar and lots of traffic I would go anywhere else on the lake this weekend.

Forrest Melton
    Alexandria, MN

Might be a little farther than you want to go, but Alexandria area trails are in great shape with the snow we got. Holiday Inn has a bar/restaurant and is right next to trail.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>The_Bladepuller wrote:</div>
    I’d call to check.

Yep it’s gonna be a zoo, so unless you looking for a packed bar and lots of traffic I would go anywhere else on the lake this weekend.

I will be at the zoo this weekend.. he said mid next week… I checked, they have availability. No way they get in this weekend.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will be at the zoo this weekend.. he said mid next week…

Missed that, thanks. I will be there too, if we run into each other we could have a cold one. toast

big_g
    Isle, MN

toast For sure toast

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Have fun this weekend at the big party. Reservations are made, can’t wait, going to be odd going there and not fishing.

stout93
    Becker MN

Was out on the sled today (Sherburne County trails).

While I usually see 10-12 sleds out when I go out on a Saturday, this afternoon I bet I saw more than 100…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I rode yesterday as well and there were a lot of sleds out. Trails were not very good either, I don’t think they were able to groom them all before the weekend.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Odd but not high traffic where we rode in nw wis. Actually quite the opposite.

B-man

We went for a nice ride yesterday morning in Washburn County, WI

The groomer was out Saturday night sometime and most of the trails were absolutely awesome.

We saw maybe 15 other sleds in four hours of riding.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Road with a buddy around the Chippewa Flowage. Trails were good and lots of sleds. Lots of people around this area due to the Birkie last weekend.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Road with a buddy around the Chippewa Flowage. Trails were good and lots of sleds. Lots of people around this area due to the Birkie last weekend.

I typically like to go up riding over the birkie weekend, a lot less sleds than normal since the skiers have a lot of the hotel rooms reserved.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.