Pitching to the Sheeps

• flanders51

I was out yesterday on Pool 4 and decided that I was going to spend the entire day pitching jigs and plastic. Water levels are about perfect and there was supposed to be little wind.

I pitched jigs (1/8-3/8) and absolutely destroyed the sheephead. I counted over 30. I caught a lot of white bass, some smallmouth, a nice perch, and a couple walleye as well. It was a great day on the water, but I was disappointed in so many sheephead.

What I was wondering is whether there is a sheephead spawn or something? Is there a reason why they were everywhere? I don’t think that it was where I was pitching. There is current, food, and structure (all things that other species like). I also did some jigging and found that, guess what, the sheephead like jigs too.

It was a fun day on the water but pitching for walleye seems to be a bust right now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

During the summer, freshwater drum move into warm, shallow water that is less than 33 ft deep. They spawn during a six to seven-week period from June through July when the water reaches a temperature of about 65 °F.

There are a LOT of them! Moving would be your best option.

On a side note, although they are normally something like 6 to 15 years old they have been found to live 70+ years in Red Lake, MN and Lake Winnebago WI

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

70 years?! Think if the lake Pepin ones lived that long…They would weigh 100lbs!

Sometimes sheepies are a necessary evil when fishing walleyes. Lots of times they inhabit similar areas and are targeting the same food source. Try a slight location or depth change and you might be in the walleyes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have come to enjoy catching them pitching in the summer. They usually strike viciously and fight hard. Of course the bigger the better. When I am out for an evening of entertainment after work they work for me as well as any “game” fish I don’t plan on keeping anyway. However if I am targeting walleye for eating they are still a disappointment!!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

PSA ” Eat More sheepshead, the other white meat ”

Hey BrianK, you should start making some shirts to sell at Everts with this slogan.

mojogunter

On Green Bay the sheephead are always in the same areas in May as walleyes.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I’ve actually noticed a sharp decline in sheephead caught on pools 2 and 3 the last few years.

hnd

we catch them all the time walleye fishing here on 14-16. to be honest, we know we didn’t catch a walleye because the sheep fight harder here. lol. caught a 8lber last friday and i thought i tail hooked a big ole carp.

unless i’m in a boat, my shore spots are all 5 sheep:1 eye/sauger in the summer months.

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

I caught a large one trolling last Sunday.. I thought it was a nice walleye, until my friend refused to net the thing.

hnd

some of my buddies despise them. i’m like who cares. something is tugging on the line, its fighting harder than the walleye are, and its not a slimy bugger like a pike. Unless i need em, i’m throwing back most eyes as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I pitched to them last night but only had limited time. Got one good one and a couple regulars. Also several bass but all but one were tiny.
    I love pitching sheep in the summer. They crush a jig/pig and fight all the way in.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

BK pegged it. My first thought was “It’s July, that’s what happens in July on the river”. Sometimes a slight move will make a difference. Further out on the wing-dam, a bit more current in a seam, etc. They’re like carp on a fly rod-a little disappointing when you see they’re not an ‘eye, but a heck of a fight and a lot of fun if you choose to look at it from the right angle. I’ve even eaten them-once-though I didn’t know it at the time. shock

Hay BK, aren’t sheepies one of the many staple meats in SPAM?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

“Hay BK, aren’t sheepies one of the many staple meats in SPAM?” …Reverend

I think you’re right: Sheephead Provide Allada Meat.

nord

I found out yesterday on Madison Lake by Mankato that they also like a jigging rap. Pitched it out in 26 ft. and snapped jigged it back to the boat. They liked it a lot more than the walleyes.

flanders51

Thought I would bring this one back. I have really enjoyed learning to be a better jig pitcher this year. Every fish in the river will bite a pitched jig and plastic. I went to sleep the other night thinking about the feeling of pitching out my line to the shore on a light jig and waiting, waiting, waiting until that little jig hits bottom before lifting it up again and hoping for a bite. Sometimes it is a really nice fish on that pick-up . . .

Anyway, the pitching bite has been pretty decent the last couple times out. Fun stuff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.