Pitching at night setup

• isu22andy

Whats your go to setup for pitching jigs or blades at night ? I struggle to see the hi vis 10lb braid I got on when it gets dark, and I cant feel poop with the 10lb hi vis suffix mono I got on . Running some fenwick HMGs and st croixs.. So much stretch in mono it drives me wild , was catching fish last night on blades and couldnt feel em hit it like I could with braid… Couldnt even feel the blade wobble when I bombed out a long cast on the mono. .. Is there a trick I dont know about ? Run some lighter thinner diameter mono for more feel?? Better brand of mono? Maybe its just nature of the beast and I need to live with it .

Nice talking to the 2 guys in the ranger tiller last night on p4 as well .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just run 832 with my seaguar flouro leader at night for both jigs and blades. I feel every thing that way. Why are you switching to mono at night ?

B-man

No personal experience, but Power Pro Moonshine is designed to glow with a black light headlamp waytogo

In theory it could be the best of both worlds for you. I’d try a weight or two higher than you normally run just to make it even easier to see.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240324-145203.png

isu22andy

I just run 832 with my seaguar flouro leader at night for both jigs and blades. I feel every thing that way. Why are you switching to mono at night ?

Can see it way better, thicker diameter, seems to glow up more in the headlamp . Maybe I need glasses ? shock

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Dump the mono asap. Jigging sucks and I avoid it as much as possible. Blades and lipless baits is by far my forte. My strong preference is the lightest rods in 6-9 to 7-6 medium with fast or Xtra fast tips. My go to is a Falcon Tara with a EXO or smoke 15 size reel. The best braid I’ve found of the crap load I’ve tried is the YoZuri super braid in blue. 10# is plenty. If you’re paranoid about fish turning off from the line in clear water, run a hybrid or Floro leader.
    As for seeing your line at night, why?? For decades I’ve taught people to go strictly on instinct and feel with lipless or blades. Cast/pitch, close bail, give the line a tug to your spool, reel up enough to feel. If your fishing the bottom, you’ll feel it hit and go slack. Other than that, you should never – ever have slack or loss of feel on the rise or drop. Best practice is to close your eyes and concentrate only on the feel. At any given moment you’ll know if your inches off the bottom or 5 feet off.

Pic is the bounty of night fishing lipless baits in 40+ mph gusts of wind. All in confidence of feel

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8867-scaled.jpeg

isu22andy

For seeing the line – I like it when pitching plastics or hair on lighter jigs for a slow fall . I can get behind not seeing the line when running a blade or heavier lipless as you can feel the thud better when it hits the ground , 1/8th or 1/4 jig with a breeze is where I loose the feel and like the visual . Maybe I need more practice I suppose . Maybe it’s just addicting watching that line . Thanks for the reply Randy .

pass0047
    Pool4

Good talking with you also. Lovely night on p4. Nice to put face with someone from ido. Likely to see u again

Deuces

Oofda, probably my favorite topic of all time. I’ll find some time to find an actual key board tomorrow.

tim hurley

Randy do you have a favorite lipless? Do you always use rattle baits?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Randy do you have a favorite lipless? Do you always use rattle baits?

Rattle – no. Some places like rattles, some don’t.

My favorite is a blank I get out of China and paint. Personal use only and I don’t sell.

Rippin raps are good. Wish the primary weight was just a bit more forward in the body. Great for lakes or directly down current in river. When quartering current I often have them roll on me.

Best all time lipless I own are the DISCONTINUED Live Target Gizzard Shad in 1/2 ounce. I use them ice fishing and open water. Live Target didn’t sell enough and since most store buyers don’t take advice, another awesome product bites the dust. I cleard out remaining 400+ left in a distribution center. Under 100 of them left.

I treat blade baits as the same class as a lipless bait. I strongly prefer the larger body profile over the smaller. Wish it was easier to make big blades in 1/4 a 3/8.

For what it’s worth, while most are dinking around with finesse jig fishing right now, I’ve been pounding fish on crank baits for the last few weeks

isu22andy

Whenever I seem to pitch them in some current perpendicular to the boat I always seem like the blades get hung up on them selves more . Running a 20 lb flouro leader and a snap . Name of the game??

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

20lb is too heavy, drop to 10# and snap only – no swivel. Don’t give it slack while sinking to bottom – follow it down. The free-fall allows it to spin

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Try 10lb. Or 12lb. Nanofil if they still make it. Outcasts anything, and doesn’t freeze up like braid. No leader, direct tie or snap if you want one. The green color has nice visibility.

isu22andy

Oofda, probably my favorite topic of all time. I’ll find some time to find an actual key board tomorrow.

Ain’t gonna let you off this easy let’s hear it mrgreen

Deuces

I don’t have much experience pitching blades, I’ll leave that mostly alone but the same concept applies for jigs only perhaps different equipment/line choices.

You need to master pitching during the day before knowing what’s really going on at night. Wind is your main factor for distance, then current. The single goal is putting your lure into the strike zone for as long as possible and just as important especially in cold water, at the right speed. Daylight pitching will let you know where your line is. And it all starts on the cast.

Different line will impart different actions on your lure, and when I say actions i specifically mean how it will travel thru the water column in current. Thicker line will allow your lure to be dragged and will create more lift, love some 8# copolymer or 20# braid in shallow cold water <8′, cold water imo those fish want that plastic to be presented ever so slowly, and it allows your bait to flutter in those spot on spots that much longer. But when you start pitching farther, and into deeper water that line works against you. 832 and PP imo have lots of drag, 832 being the worst, and when you’re pitching out all that water/current is going to drag your bait up and out of that zone more than a thinner slicker line.

Wind is also really important to factor into the drag equation as well. Our jigs want to be on the straightest line from knot to rod tip to maintain sensitivity for bottom, bites, and if your setup is sensitive enough to feel what the bottom is, and if you have caught a leaf or chunk of river gunk. If your line is dragging in the water behind jig, add in a lil wind dragging your line even more so out of that straight line it doesn’t matter how expensive your rod is, you’re not gonna feel crap. Even before that jig has even fallen to bottom I’m already doing what I can to keep that straight line present. Knowing what the current is doing, where it’s going, where the seam is, where the eddy is behind it possibly, and each cast tries to maximize putting that slack line where I want it to lay in line for when that jig hits bottom, then when the jig hits water I let it sink for a second and smack my rod close to the water taking out all the slack, again doing what I can to take all the bow out of the line from knot to tip before that jig has even sunk a few feet down.

Heavier jigs will give you more feel, helpful in windy conditions, as well as putting a plastic on that will create more drag to help keep that line taunt, paddletails, bfshin products are good w the ribbed bodies, love my ringworms but with a small tail they tend to snake thru the water, if conditions are calm or if casting not far its not much of a concern. Shape of jigs is also a big factor. Fireball jigs drag more than pill shaped (vmc mooneyes), pill shaped faster than teardrop, etc. Choose the correct jig type for where you’re fishing, and what type of plastic you’ll have on. More drag from the lure itself the easier it will be to maintain good feel. Too heavy and you’re dragging bottom(which isn’t always a bad thign), and snagging crap every other cast or breaking off.

Another big point is learn to feel the presentation. I hate lights at night and anyone whos fished with me will attest to me making comments of why all the lights at some point during our excursion. You have to gain a feel for the pitch. So many are concentrating on their rod tips, on the water, on the sky, birds, other anglers etc they aren’t actually focusing all their energy into that singular lure somewhere in the water. Know where that lure is, visualize what it’s doing out there, forget all the depth charts, sonar returns, blah blah blah and map out in your brain exactly where you’re casting to and where your lure is on it. See each rock it bumps into, see each snag you break off of, and know how to sneak your way in and out of each one the next cast. Close your eyes and just feel it, I’m dead serious, close your eyes and feel your presentation. It’s instinct to pour all your focus into the other senses when your main visual cues are taken away, challenge yourself to pour that focus into your feel and your feel alone.

Ever since my 7mxf st.croix rage broke I’ve been in crisis mode finding a comparable, gloomis, tfo, Fenwick, st.croix just haven’t gotten me there, I bounce between a couple, for my mlxf it’s a 610mlxf muse gold. 2nd best stick I’ve ever owned. Crystal fireline with a 4′ mono leader have brought alot of fish in.

Lots more to chat about night pitching but that’s a good start. Cheers toast

isu22andy

Well written !! Looks like a nice night to be on the water and try a few tactics!

Jimmy Jones

Another big point is learn to feel the presentation…. Know where that lure is…. Close your eyes and just feel it…. challenge yourself to pour that focus into your feel and your feel alone.

Excellent advice here.

Not walleye fishing, but I’m a huge fan of getting started fishing very early in the morning, well before sunrise, when its basically black dark and feel is the only indicator that you have a fish on or a hit. My largest crappies usually come during that last hour of darkness in the morning.

Years ago, I and a friend night fished Red Wing’s downtown shoreline between the train station and the grain terminal, where the mooring poles stick out of the water, and we had some unbelievable catches. Being lucky had nothing to do with it, darkness did.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

The thing I agree with the most about Mr. Deuces thesis is the part about turning off the lights. You feel things with this technique, and lights are not needed. Keep a headlamp only for removing hooks. A red or green one is much better than a white one. I know I’ve caught hell here before for my rant on guys using a 13 jigawatt headlamp that’s as bright as a barge light. But honestly that gets you no added advantage in terms of catching fish. And I’ve had fishing partners in the boat before who would blind me with their lamp every time I set the hook on a fish.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Try 10lb. Or 12lb. Nanofil if they still make it. Outcasts anything, and doesn’t freeze up like braid. No leader, direct tie or snap if you want one. The green color has nice visibility.

I wish they still made Nanofil. it didn’t do well on abrasion, but it did cast a mile and not freeze up. It was great for pitching jigs in cold weather. It had no stretch, and you felt every bite just as you would with braid. I also use it for ice fishing to avoid freeze up.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Yeah, nanofil really shines in certain situations. It outcasts any braid ever made, and resists freezing better than any braid too. It would fray some, but easy to re-tie and I’d often pull walleye after walleye from the river with no issue. A bummer that it’s discontinued.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.