Pin sight recommendations.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My bow came with an el cheapo 3 pin lighted sight and now I’ve managed to strip one of the adjustment screws on one pin. Probably time for an upgrade…

But let’s not go nuts here. I’d like to keep this under $100 or so. To be honest, even the el cheapo pin sight that came with the RTH bow was working fine for me. It would have been nice to have an extra pin or two, but it was getting er done. Let’s put it this way, the odds that the sight was the cause of any poor shot are pretty slim…

I looked at some single pin sights as well, but I’m not wild about the idea of having to faff around with doping the sight before drawing. I’m just picturing this going down in a deer stand and having to do the extra step of getting the range set. I’m a total newbie here, so I don’t really need extra steps to worry about if the right deer shows up at the right time, I kind of like the point and shoot simplicity of the pin sight. Or maybe I’m not thinking about this right?

Any recommendations for sights to look at?

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

Are you a lefty? If so, I have an HHA single pin you could have. I am a HUGE fan of the Schaffer sight, but they are spendy. I also have a Copper John Deadnuts with an extension bar and I really like it. For the under $100 option, you really can’t go wrong with a Tru-glo sight.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Are you a lefty?

Appreciate the offer, but no, I’m a righty.

Was looking at the Tru-Glow sights and the Cabelas versions of them. Seem pretty solid and get good reviews, even if they are basic.

I might be wrong not to look at the single pin option, but having zero experience I just see in my mind a lot of fumbling around trying to get the sight dialed in as a deer is walking along…

Also, to be perfectly honest, “long range” to me is 30 yards. I need a lot more practice before I’m deer-confident at 30 and I doubt an all singing/dancing sight would change this. I’m coming to the party pretty late in the game age-wise, so I don’t have the strength or the experience to be shooting a laser-beam WunderBow and pushing an arrow at 300+ FPS. There’s a LOT of drop in my “long” 25 or 30 yard shots… It looks more rainbow than laser beam…

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

I might be wrong not to look at the single pin option, but having zero experience I just see in my mind a lot of fumbling around trying to get the sight dialed in as a deer is walking along…

Not wrong at all. There’s a reason I offered it for free! I have lost a deer from drawing back at 20 yards, moves out the 30 so I draw down when I can to adjust and he’s spooked.

FWIW, I only draw a 60# bow and will make shots out to 50 yards with confidence. My sight has 4 fiber pins and 1 steel pin. It is not very often we shoot at 60 yards, but it can be fun when messing around.

deertracker

I have the Trophy Ridge react. Don’t remeber what model but I literally sighted it in in minutes.
    DT

deertracker
    TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thanks, DK. That’s a good option

Trophy Ridge and Tru-Glo both have some sights that look perfectly good and get good reviews.

I’m going to try to get into the archery shop soon so I can look in person. Need a couple of other bits too.

Just as an aside, I’ve been having a lot of fun with archery. It’s just good fun to go out and sink arrows into the block most nights.

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve been having a lot of fun with archery. It’s just good fun to go out and sink arrows into the block most nights.

If you get a night free, take a trip to Spring Lake Park Reserve in Hastings and walk their trailhead. It is an archery trail with 28 target stations ranging from 5-80 yards. Plenty of elevated stands to shoot from on certain targets. It is a lot of fun and well worth the time spent. Bring bug juice, however. Mosquitoes are terrible out there. $5 a day or $30 a season, well worth it.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Check out Montana Black Gold sights.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Check out Montana Black Gold sights.

Will have a look. Thanks.

If you get a night free, take a trip to Spring Lake Park Reserve in Hastings and walk their trailhead. It is an archery trail with 28 target stations ranging from 5-80 yards. Plenty of elevated stands to shoot from on certain targets. It is a lot of fun and well worth the time spent. Bring bug juice, however. Mosquitoes are terrible out there. $5 a day or $30 a season, well worth it.

Thanks. Will have to give it a try.

Lake Elmo has a decent setup in the park reserve. Oakdale also has a range in a city park that’s surprisingly nice and free.

Also, my back yard is mostly enclosed so there’s my mini-range back there.

Grouse

jwellsy

Maybe it’s a sign to try instinctive shooting. It worked great for many centuries. Go shooting with someone that shoots instinctive and have them show you the ropes. Once you get the hang of it you’ll probably never go back.

Protourbaits1

I have the trophy ridge Hitman 5 pin. Aluminum construction, light and .019 pin diameter. Got it for $50 or $60 at Cabela’s.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A forum member on another forum tipped me off to the fact that the unbranded pin sight that came with my bow is made by Tru-Glo and uses the same pins as a number of TG sights. I was able to pick up a replacement pin on eBay for less than $5.

But I will be upgrading if only to go to a 4 or 5 pin setup. With that said, I’m starting to wonder how much I need more pins right now. Currently I have this setup.

– Top pin – 2 inches high at 10, dead on at 20.

– Middle pin – dead on at 25.

– Low pin – Dead on at 30.

I don’t have what I’d consider adequate hunting groups beyond 35 yet and it’s difficult for me to practice at this distance because my super-secret illicit suburban backyard range doesn’t give me this kind of distance option.

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

I don’t have what I’d consider adequate hunting groups beyond 35 yet and it’s difficult for me to practice at this distance because my super-secret illicit suburban backyard range doesn’t give me this kind of distance option.

Funny you mention that. Last summer when building a privacy fence in my backyard, the FW and I couldn’t decide on where we wanted the fence to be set on the street side (there’s trees between the street and fence). She shook her head when a buddy and I grabbed a tape and walked a clear 40yrd shot off to a target we set at the property line on the other side…If I wanted to get serious and cut the pine trees out, I could have gotten 50 yards…FW said no to that proposition…

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

tru glo does make some pretty good quality stuff,for something thats gonna last for the long haul your probly gonna be near the 100 $ mark.
    One option to the single pin out of the treestand would be a pendulum sight,Tru glo does make one that can be locked for shooting from the ground,I believe that comes in just under 100$.
    I use a Spot Hogg hoggit,virtually indestructible and unstrippable with lifetime warranty,but about twice what you want to spend but deals can be found in the classifieds from various archery websites.

dbright
    Cambridge

I went with a adjustable sight on my hunting bow. I bought the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie with the double pin. With my pin set at 20 my second pin is at 37 yards. I rarely have a shot further than that where I hunt. I had trouble with the clutter of my cheap 5 pin sight. It will be above your $100 limit but it was well worth the extra money.

chris
    northern Illinois

I got a Montana black gold 4 pin sight used on ebay and love it. The .019 pins are crisp, no more fuzzy pin like the cheap one I had before. They are around $100 new I got mine for $50 used. I might look into getting a .010 pin for my top pin.

Daniel G.
    Salt Lake City, Utah

I would recommend either Spot Hogg or Black Gold as others have already mentioned.

ajw

something to think about. I like to practice fairly consistently at roughly double what I consider my hunting range. ideally shots 30 yards or less are what I’m expecting and optimal. working your way out to 50-60 yards on targets and being able to hit consistently makes the 20-30 yard shot a total chip shot.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.