Pike trolling

• AlwaysFishing23

Anyone ever get out and troll for big pike on the pond? Using bigger cranks ( super shad, size 9 flicker Shad’s etc). Sounds like the pike fishing has really taken off.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Just set up for muskies and if you catch a big pike call it a bonus. Super shads would work well.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yep, exactly what Rodwork stated. Troll big lures with muskie tackle and you’re bound to run into some pike of various sizes.

Bear in mind that if you intend to keep any, Mille Lacs has lake-specific regulations on northern pike.

R Petersen

Pike can not resist large gold and silver flashing lures. Heck I catch them on Rapala 1.5″ lures and tiny perch plastic tubes.

They eat anything they see.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There are some real nice pike in the Pond. Each year there are some real big ones caught by Muskie, Walleye, and Bass fishermen. I would think you could catch Pike on Mille lacs trolling almost any baits. Larger Rapala’s and spoons both come to mind.

AlwaysFishing23

Forgive my lack of knowledge haha….. I’ve only ever ice fished the pond so I’m clueless. But is there a weed line around the whole lake like your typical lake (6-15fow?) I’ve heard the north end has good weeds but what about the west or south sides? I’d imagine there would be fish on rock also?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Forgive my lack of knowledge haha….. I’ve only ever ice fished the pond so I’m clueless. But is there a weed line around the whole lake like your typical lake (6-15fow?) I’ve heard the north end has good weeds but what about the west or south sides? I’d imagine there would be fish on rock also?

There is not a weed edge around the whole lake. The southern bays have weeds and there is a weed line along the north side sand.

There could be fish on rocks too. Vineland, Cove, Wahkon, and Isle bays would be a good place to start with weeds present.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Is also a pretty good sized area of weeds just north of Indian point, lotta musky guys fish it.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Two summers ago I caught a 44 inch pike while trolling a super Shad on the north end

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I usually launch at the Red Door. Head east or west on the first break weed line. Spoons or super shads always works. James did a video not too long ago trolling super Shads on the north end.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Two summers ago I caught a 44 inch pike while trolling a super Shad on the north end

A pike that size is a very rare fish nowadays here. You normally have to go to Canada to have a chance at a fish like that.

R Petersen

Catch & Release along with Barbless Hooks do make a lot of difference on all fish surviving.

Remember the ONLY REASON to use BARBED HOOKS. Is to prevent the fish from escaping. If the mouth and gills or eyes are ripped or torn loose ? Great !! The barbs stopped the fish from getting away.

Barbs STOP us from controlling a fish with better line tension .

AlwaysFishing23

Thanks for the insight guys! As far as colors go would perch be about all a guy needs? Or are brighter colors good to? Fire tiger, hot tiger etc. And as far as leaders are flouro gonna be the best bet with the clear water?

R Petersen

6″ to 12″ long wire leader with a swivel. Pike can do a Death Roll. Just like Alligators do.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

5 of Diamonds.

Blue & chrome 1 oz Rattle Trap.

Head to Vineland and fish around 12′.

Remember, you really can’t troll to fast for a aggressive Pike.

AlwaysFishing23

Ran over this morning and for the life of me can’t find any weeds at all. Checked bays on west side half and of the north end. Some sparse stuff on bottom and that’s it. Just flat.

R Petersen

3 hours from 9 to 12. 1….3″ perch That is it. Weeds are almost all gone.
    Central Sewage killed our St. Lawrence River in 2 years. Clean sterile water.

AlwaysFishing23

I did find some weeds around garrison reef but it wasn’t much more than thin pencil weeds. Any one know where the weeds went?? Fished the mud flats for a while pulling lead core and man there’s not shortage of fish the lake. Bait and fish stacked up galore. But no life could get a single ones to bite. Talking to the AIS lady at the landing she said she only heard of 1 walleye being caught all day.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Vineland Bay has always held pretty thick weeds. Did you try there?

AlwaysFishing23

I checked St. Albans, wigwam, and shabushkung bays then up to myr mar along the north end.

Ripjiggen

Bobber and a leech for the eyes on the mud. Don’t think you were shallow or deep enough plenty of weeds from garrison public access north.
    There are no pencil reeds on actual garrison reef.

AlwaysFishing23

That’s correct there is no pencil reeds. But on the east side on the break on the reef there is a pencil weed type ( what ever the name is) it’s a submerged weed. As far as shallow or deep went from 5fow out. Don’t get me wrong theres some sparse crappy slop on bottom but that’s about it. No standing cabbage or stuff that I would call ideal.

AlwaysFishing23

Bobber and a leech for the eyes on the mud. Don’t think you were shallow or deep enough plenty of weeds from garrison public access north.
    There are no pencil reeds on actual garrison reef.

Your talking just old school plain hook and a leech thrown out on pods of fish?

Also can anyone give any good recommendation of cranks for pulling on lead or deep diving cranks? Shad/cranks or stick baits?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Also can anyone give any good recommendation of cranks for pulling on lead or deep diving cranks? Shad/cranks or stick baits?

Are you still referring to a method of targeting pike or are you talking about walleye fishing now? I think Ripjiggen was specifically talking about walleye fishing even though you originally started this thread with the idea of targeting northern pike.

Ripjiggen

Yeah I was talking walleye as he said he was in the mud pulling lead core.
    For walleyes shad raps. Pike I rarely target and catch more on accident.

AlwaysFishing23

Yes walleyes I should have clarified on that. And yes it is in a pike thread but why start another thread.

Ripjiggen

I prefer a small jig and leach vs plain hook. Heavy sinker at top of leader to get down fast. On the mud I am driving around marking fish. When I see one I stop drop right behind the boat. Usually get them right away if I don’t I move in to the next fish. Called power corking and can be really affective.

AlwaysFishing23

Thank you! Sounds like an effective tactic at this time with all the forage. What size jigs do you like to use?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Called power corking and can be really affective.

I could never quite grasp that concept. How do you set your depth so quickly?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.