Pike Lures

• LenH
    Wisconsin

Making my yearly trek to buy lures for pike. I typically only fish one place for pike and it is 6 feet deep maximum.

Any of you have suggestions for pike lures?

joc
    Western and Central, NY

You must only fish in the early spring. I fish up to 25′-30′ for pike (the bigger ones). I have my best luck with jerk baits such as Phantoms with curly tail, Rapala’s (X-Rap series and Husky Jerk). I also use some pull baits such as Dunwright’s like-Like-Pike and Savages’s Lip Lure. In the waters I fish the bigger pike have all seen a million spoons and spinners so the yield is very poor using these bait.

Good luck

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve had really good luck for Pike on a red and white Bass-O-reno.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

You must only fish in the early spring. I fish up to 25′-30′ for pike (the bigger ones). I have my best luck with jerk baits such as Phantoms with curly tail, Rapala’s (X-Rap series and Husky Jerk). I also use some pull baits such as Dunwright’s like-Like-Pike and Savages’s Lip Lure. In the waters I fish the bigger pike have all seen a million spoons and spinners so the yield is very poor using these bait.

Good luck

Yes, the fish have seen millions of spoons and spinners. Some days they still work and work well. The last couple seasons been seeing the spinnerbaits be a better producer than inline spinners, spoons, and quite a few crankbaits.

I’m about to make my yearly trek for baits and I’ll have to look at some of your suggestions. Maybe one of those will do the trick for my next Canadian trip.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

My biggest pike came on an orange Mepps Syclops. Can’t go wrong with bucktail spinner either.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

My biggest pike ever came on a perch colored double cowgirl whistling but the best producer I have ever thrown is the old mepps #5 or #4 with the natural bucktail on it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Making my yearly trek to buy lures for pike. I typically only fish one place for pike and it is 6 feet deep maximum.

Any of you have suggestions for pike lures?

For water 6 foot or less, I’d throw topwater. I like gliders and for soft baits, smaller bull dawgs make good pike lures. A good looking frog bait will draw them in too, especially in the weeds.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I realize it’s different strokes for different folks. Friendly advise, learn how to use a jerkbait. I catch more pike in general than most on heavily fished waters in central NY and they also work well in northern Ontario. Try to match the hatch with color, but also buy a firetiger or clown for some variety.

Jason Davies
    Forestport, NY

HJ14 & HJ18’s gold/black, fire tiger, clown, anything bright and flashy. SLOWWWW until the water gets up toward 60 degrees. At times I pause for 15-20 seconds. In water that shallow you should be able to sight fish them.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

HJ14 & HJ18’s gold/black, fire tiger, clown, anything bright and flashy. SLOWWWW until the water gets up toward 60 degrees. At times I pause for 15-20 seconds. In water that shallow you should be able to sight fish them.

As far as I know HJ14, 5/8 oz., 5 1/2″ is the largest size Husky Jerk made by Rapala. What is a HJ18?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Considering its early spring, you fish a lot of streams, you maybe hitting up a larger stream/river dam area for the spring bite?

I got to speak with a fellow shore guy in my area that I always saw around, or was in the boat, or something or other. He is a huge pike guy and swears by walk the dog for spring time. Has pics to back it up of local muskies, pike and even a 26″ eye that were caught on it. Worth a shot.

LenH
    Wisconsin

dropped 400 this morning and could have easily doubled that.

Attachments:
    1. middledrawer.jpg

2. babyeye.jpg

LenH
    Wisconsin

other 2 drawers

Attachments:
    1. bottomdrawer.jpg

2. topdrawer.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

$400? As you say, that’s good for a start. jester I got a 4 pack of empty 3750 boxes just in case your hankering to spend more. Let me know when to send my shopping list.

LenH
    Wisconsin

last year I had a big pike straighten a jig hook.
    when i saw these bagleys i knew i wanted them.

Attachments:
    1. bagelyjigheads.jpg

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Perch colored Rapala X-Rap catches most of my shallow pike when I target them. When I don’t target pike I catch them on just about anything. The X-Rap is great around shallow springs/fresh water/shaded areas during the hot humid dog days when you can break into a sweat resting in the shade.

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

Pike fishing in Canada in shallow water I use Dr Spoons. White with red 5 of diamonds has been best the last few years. Red with white stripe also good. I take about 100 different spoons with me and usually use 3 different ones in 10 days of fishing. Why try a different color when they are crazy about these? Dr Spoons really work for me.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Just throw the most expensive lures you can buy. You’ll find all sorts of pike.

Kentucky Boy 75
    Champlin, MN

Let me know how you do after you try the Thin Fin from Storm. I thought about getting a FT for Pike…the reviews look good but I would rather get first hand advice.

fishdale

Just throw the most expensive lures you can buy. You’ll find all sorts of pike.

Especially if you do not have a leader on. I had one bite off 3 jigs prior to finally hooking it with the 4th. Cleaned it up and got back all my jigs.

LenH
    Wisconsin

had huge pike on yesterday at hometown.
    was a 3 second head shaker.

was on a size 13 jointed rapala.

Jason Davies
    Forestport, NY

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jason Davies wrote:</div>

As far as I know HJ14, 5/8 oz., 5 1/2″ is the largest size Husky Jerk made by Rapala. What is a HJ18?

My bad. I meant Rapalas original F-18s.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Man it’s so hard to beat a big white spinner bait with a silver colorado blade. So simple but it flat out works….period. Also, those BX minnows do a dang good job. A number 5 or 6 Vibrax does a number on them too.

Jason Davies
    Forestport, NY

Water temps around me are already in the 70’s. I’m already seeing the larger fish mixed in with the walleye around the 15-22′ mark in the trenches.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.