Pike and Lake Trout Reel/Line thoughts

• Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

So I have caught 30″ pike on 6# test before while fishing for walleyes, I am thinking about more actively targeting some Northerns and maybe even taking a trip to fish for some Lake Trout (never have caught one).

What size reel would you be looking for, unfortunately my 1000 size Shimano’s only have 7 pounds of drag and probably can only hold about 70 yards of 8# mono. Should I be looking for something more in the 2500 (Shimano or Diawa) or 30 (Okuma or Pflueger) size range with closer to 10# drag?
    Any recommendations or things to avoid with the above mentioned manufacturers in cold weather/ice use?

Next onto line, what is the current thoughts when targeting larger fish through the ice. Summertime I run alot of 832 and PowerPro but when ice fishing I almost exclusively use mono. Last year I mostly used 8# with a 12″ 50# flouro leader, never had any problems, but not sure if I am pushing the limits with 8# line.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys are using and recommendations.
    Thank you.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Where do you plan on targeting lake trout? If you’re thinking the Great Lakes, you’ll probably want something a little different than inland lakes.

Nick Schmitz

I think your reel sizes are plenty big enough. I almost exclusively fish northerns in the winter. I run shimano senna 500’s or pfluger 20’s and they have stood up for years. As for line I run either 15 or 20 lb power pro. Sometimes with a leader sometimes not. Fishing northerns with mono is just asking to get cut off more often than not.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I catch around a dozen lake trout every winter on inland lakes, using 20 lb. Stealth braid with a 15 lb fluorocarbon leader.

catmando
    wis

Okuma bait feeder 30 , with 30 pound braid ! My choice .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.