Piedmont Lake

• JimCorey
    East Central Ohio

Well, as usual, Piedmont Lake is the first of our local waters to turn on. The lake is continuing to rise after the Winter drawdown and the main Marina ramp should be useable in a week or two. Boats can be launched off the old roadbed to the right of the ramp and those anglers with 4-WD vehicles can launch from the rest area on Rte.# 22. The Saugeye bite is cranking up with limits of 17″ to 22″ fish being caught in 14 to 25 foot depths from the dam up to the 4-H Point. The roadbed by the dam and the entrance to Essex Bay have been the best areas so far. Bladebaits, especially the 1/4 ounce Vib-“E” in chrome/blue back have been the best producers, with jig/minnow and jig/plastic combos running a close second. This bite should last through the last week of March. After that these fish will begin to migrate to the upper end of the reservoir. In April the best bet will be to launch at the Reynolds Road Ramp and fish the extreme upper end in water depths from 2 to 8 feet. Livelining Shiners, Suckers, or Chubs will produce well then, as will casting crankbaits on shallow gravel-to-mud transitions. So far Piedmont is the only local lake to turn on. Atwood and Tappan should begin to pick up about the third week of March, with Seneca, Salt Fork, and Clendenning following closely behind.

Anonymous

Yea Jim

Piedmont is loaded with saugeyes and smallmouth and big muskies. Nothing else worth fishing for there

JimCorey
    East Central Ohio

Lol. Welcome Katfish!!! You got me and I sincerely apologize!! Everyone, if I don’t set this straight I’ll have to find a new home state. Because I am pretty much Walleye oriented in my thinking (the only excuse I have Robby) I neglected to mention that Piedmont Lake is one of the finest Flathead Cat lakes anywhere. To prove it I’ll call on Robby to post a pic or two. Don’t hate him guys, he says he only uses Saugeyes for bait when he can’t find medium sized cattle.

Anonymous

I can’t say these are as exciting as a 2 pound saugeye

but it thrills this ole country boy.

I got these 2 last fall. During a 6 week period I caught 5 over 50 pounds and many over 40.

All were caught on rod and reel and all were released to grow, spawn, and hopefully bring a smile to another catman.

Anonymous

With Jim Coreys Help I managed to get 2 Tappan lake flatheads.

Contact me to see videos of big flatheads.

JimCorey
    East Central Ohio

Not much help from me I’m afraid. Robbie is “The Man” when it comes to Buckeye State Flatheads and needs little help from anyone. Nice of ya to say it though, Lol.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.