pickled eggs

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I am looking for tried and tasty recipe. Like a little bite but not burn your tongue off.

Thanks.

Krh129

I just normally use a standard pickling recipe and add garlic to taste. 2-3 cut up cloves per jar in my case I got this “recipe” from a bar near the Long Prairie area.

I know people that add jalapeños and or crushed red pepper as well with the garlic.. they are good too.

Here is the pickling recipe I use… you can substitute white wine vinegar for the champagne vinegar….same idea 1 comes from wine the other from champagne… I think I got it from an Alton Brown show.

1 cup water

1 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup champagne vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 teaspoon pickling spice

4 whole garlic cloves, smashed

Dean Dysart

I just normally use a standard pickling recipe and add garlic to taste. 2-3 cut up cloves per jar in my case I got this “recipe” from a bar near the Long Prairie area.

I know people that add jalapeños and or crushed red pepper as well with the garlic.. they are good too.

Here is the pickling recipe I use… you can substitute white wine vinegar for the champagne vinegar….same idea 1 comes from wine the other from champagne… I think I got it from an Alton Brown show.

1 cup water

1 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup champagne vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 teaspoon pickling spice

4 whole garlic cloves, smashed

Do you heat the pickle mixture and add the boiled eggs, or do you do it cold?

Krh129

Cook the pickling juice and let it cool. Same with eggs. Then combine. I let it sit at least 3 days.

Dean Dysart

With this mixture the yield was 18 large eggs in three small jars. I added 1/2 cup of liquid to fill the jars to the top. I cooked the jars in a canning pot. This way I can take the eggs on trips and not have to keep them on ice.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

What is the shelf life of these pickled eggs? I assume they have to stay in the fridge? Love some hot pickled eggs, but never made them myself.

Krh129

Shelf life I am not sure of, I make small batches keep them in the frig and my self control is lacking when it comes to stuff like this. Mainly trying to cut down carbs so eat them for snacks.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Cook the pickling juice and let it cool. Same with eggs. Then combine. I let it sit at least 3 days.

a friend of mine has a reciepe for pickled eggs…if i remember right he lets his sit for close to a month???

i wouldnt no, i dont eat the stuff!!!!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’d have to lose a bet to eat one.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’d have to lose a bet to eat one.

i wouldnt make that kind of bet!!!!! waytogo rotflol rotflol

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

If we all liked the same stuff life would be boring. jester

Brad Dimond

In my college years a couple of the townie bars in Ripon WI had pickled eggs in gallon jars sitting on the back of the bar. Never mustered the courage to try one (or had enough liquor to overcome fear).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.