Pickled beet recipe I've been talking about

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Well here it is you guys, girls and cooking gurus. These pickled beets are the best thing this side of the Mississippi river, and probably both sides and everybody that’s tasted them are now fans too.

Yields about 6 pints or three quarts.

3 quarts beets
    ( About 24 small )
    2 cups sugar
    2 sticks of cinnamon
    1 tablespoon whole allspice
    1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    3 1/2 cups of vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water
    Ball pickle crisp ( optional )

Wash beets and drain. Cook beets and peel.
    Combine all ingredients except beets and pickle crisp in a saucepot.
    Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
    Remove cinnamon sticks. Pack beets in the jar leaving about 1/2 head space.
    Add pickle crisp at this time if your going to use it.
    Ladle hot sauce over beets in the jars, also leaving 1/2 head space.
    Remove air bubbles
    Adjust lids and caps and boil in a canner for 30 additional minutes.
    Remove from canner and tighten lids, let the jars cool and check for any of them that might have not sealed.

I’m not a beet expert and really don’t have another recipe to compare the taste of these to,,,,,But these are delicious and a must try for someone looking for something to do at night after work or on the weekend. There so good that my friend Ron canned 30 pints a few days ago and he thinks there will be about that many again after he picks the remain beets in his garden for his final canning and his whole family has spoken for every last jar, these are very good everybody, and a must try.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks!!

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Mossydan there are two things that touch my heart deeply. Mom’s pickeled beets and Grandma’s pan fried round steak. Both Ma and Grandma are gone now and I have Grandma’s steak recipe down to almost how she did it.
    Now it is time to honner Ma . Ive been hesitating to tackle this but its time. Thanks for the insperation. The beets I got last week I grilled and served with fresh vinager dill creamed cucumber tasted great but they were not Ma’s beets.
    They say smells trigger memory, I can not argue that one bit.
    I’ll give your recipe a shot and I’ll give Ma’s a go.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You won’t be disappointed HLS, their kinda like you walk into a kitchen full of older gals cooking and that’s the beets they serve you, their that good, I think their very old school.

On a side note, I had 3 good sized tomatoes that were ripening pretty fast and didn’t want to see them go to waist. So I sliced them and cut them into cubes, now what I thought. So I cut up a medium green pepper and a garden fresh 3″ white onion and put that in. I added about a teaspoon of celery seed, 5 tablespoons of sugar and about 1/8th cup apple cider vinegar, so far it tasted pretty good. Then I added a full cup of smoked bacon that I fried and chilled down and crumbled and about 5 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and think I’ll go add a smaller cucumber. It came out pretty good and didn’t have any tomatoes go to waste. Having some tonight along side the charcoaled pork ribs, got onions and cucumbers in vinegar chilling right now.

buck-slayer

My Aunt would buy the small round beets in a can and then pickle them. I suppose it saved time from cooking and skinning the beets. They tasted great.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.