Pepin trolling

• Deleted

Wife had a big fish (prolly a big northern?) on yesterday and reeled it in quite a ways, before it shook and broke the tail & rear treble hook off the crankbait. Bent the forward treble hook good on that side too. We’ve caught some nice 25-27” eyes and never had one break off but this lure wasn’t up to the task of bringing this beast in. The worst part is that we didn’t get to land it! Anyone else had this happen with Berkley flicker shads?

Attachments:
    1. D9DC06F9-DDE5-46A1-9D83-56673AAECD76.jpeg

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Never with a Flicker Shad. I’ve had several Shad Raps come apart.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve seen the actual treble break but not the body. I’ve also busted the bills from banging them on the rocks.

I’d agree….more issues with rapala than with flickers.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Have had it happen with Husky Jerks and pike before. Quite a few times with the hooks, once or twice on the actual body.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Ouch! What size Flicker Shad was that, 7?

Where did you launch from?

Deleted

????7 yes ! We went from hoksila …. that big pike was from Hanson harbor to hoksila in 13’

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I landed a 36 ” pike last week 16fow near hoksila

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The first few years flicker shad was out the #5 size was very common to bust the rear hook out. The body would crack around the rear treble then if you didt catch it a good fish strike would tear it right out.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Why would you even say that?

BoatsHateMe

The high water is making people cranky coffee

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not saying anything about the receding waters. Everytime I do, it goes back into flood stage!

Either way, the lake has a decent crank bite going.

Attachments:
    1. redm5_hg.png

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Very excited for Saturday!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

This Pepin trolling idea gets me excited. Any tips for first timers? Might try to head out there this weekend.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>
    Loosen the drag helps. How was the walleye bite?

I’ll assume you are joking or just mildly retarded .

actually being mildly retarded looks more like this

Attachments:
    1. PB.jpg

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Just like your post summoned the thunderstorm BK!

BoatsHateMe

Way to go BK. You just called in 5” of rain in a 30 minute period.

Fair afternoon on the water. There was a nice chop, not that it was needed with 12” visibility. Scored my walleyes in 9-12’ with the best action on wind blown points using #5 firetiger Flicker Shad and a natural shad Shad Rap. Picked up a nice crappie, whitey and some sheep to keep things interesting.

I trolled over the basin on the way back looking for baitfish and suspended fish. Didn’t see much but I did mark a lot of fish about 31 or 32 feet at the bottom of the breaks on the points especially. Didn’t target these since my trolling motor was not trustworthy and the storm was rollin in.

I really thought the impending storm would have turned on the bass but I got nothing working the flooded timber.

Saw the Brandl truck in the lot but some how they kept that boat stealthy. They got off well before the storm. It started pouring on me and the phone started blaring with the tornado warning as soon as I hit 61.

Water temp was a balmy 68 degrees.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Saw the Brandl truck in the lot but some how they kept that boat stealthy. They got off well before the storm. It started pouring on me and the phone started blaring with the tornado warning as soon as I hit 61.

We started at 9am and left around 2pm. Pat is fishing a tournament up in Bemidji this weekend and want to get through the metro before the traffic went from bad to awful so it was a quick turn. As it turned out being off the water early was a lucky break given how ugly the weather was by the time I got home.

Overall we had a decent outing. We kept two limits of eyes in the 17-20 inch range, a nice crappie and a dandy perch. The big fish escaped us this time around although we did have 4 opportunities and managed to muff all of them. Both Pat and I blame Jake the camera guy. jester

Our top baits were the #5 shad raps in perch, craw, and Delta. Delta was definitely the top bait for the day. Trolling speed was 2.5-2.7 mph. Best depth was as tight to the flooded timber as you could get!

I’m off to Ontario Thursday thru Tuesday but when I get back I hope to get out with my daughter so leave us a few!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for the reports guys!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Heading to Pasha for the Dream Trip?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just like your post summoned the thunderstorm BK!

Sorry guys.

I need to troll the willows for a few hours. Wife says I’m crabby.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Where are you going to be on Friday and Saturday Bk? Maybe I can swing by?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

What’s the best launch to go out of at this time? This’ll be my first time launching the new Ranger this weekend (and a bunk trailer). Not sure what my best option for a bunk trailer.

I’d horse the old Lund off the trailer anywhere….can’t do that now!

Smellson

Hok-si-la and the lake Pepin launch were both good to go last week launching my Skeeter on bunks. Lake Pepin had some water in a portion of the parking lot but not an issue. Hok-si-la was busier

BoatsHateMe

What’s the best launch to go out of at this time? This’ll be my first time launching the new Ranger this weekend (and a bunk trailer). Not sure what my best option for a bunk trailer.

I’d horse the old Lund off the trailer anywhere….can’t do that now!

Hok-Si-La will be a breeze for you.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Can’t wait to Denver Rig!!!!!!!!

Deleted

Water was perfect today. Fish cooperated. Got some eyes then went for some gills & even had a nice pike. lol fish fry ready now !

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.