Pepin 5/2 & 5/3

• shockers
    Rochester

Was a beautiful weekend so headed to Pepin over the weekend. Saturday got a late start as I was with my daughter (age 11) who was adamant we take our time and pack a comprehensive lunch bucket. Launched out of Hoksila (very busy). Tried mostly bouncers and minnows Saturday with very little success, but it was a great day. Was hoping to at least find a hungry sheepshead for my daughter, but no luck.

Sunday I ventured out by myself. Launched out of Hoksila again. Forecast wasn’t looking great but fortunately the forecast wasn’t that accurate. Started off pulling cranks. Did that for a good 2 hours with very little luck before landing a nice 18″ in about 10 feet of water. Then switched over to bouncers and minnows and I bet I caught the same 12 inch walleye 20 times. Finally managed a couple of 15 inchers, but whew. So it was a lot of searching and a lot of small fish. Not quite ure what the best strategy is now with all the low water – which reminds me, be careful. Your old favorite fishing spots are likely much different now with all the low water.

“Highlight” of the day was losing the remote cover on my iPilot so I had to hold the battery in with my hand. That got old real quick.

Good luck!

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

I was down on Saturday morning as well. We pulled cranks the whole time, lots of small saugers and a couple small walleyes. Couldnt find a fish longer than 14″ for my boat. #5 shad rap was the hot bait on the inside board.

flanders51

Thanks for the report. I agree that people need to be careful. I got up into the Bay City Flats area and could not get out easily. I end up having to turn around and go all the way back to the head of the lake. Very shallow and annoying. Scratched up my skeg too. If you have a little john boat, probably ok; otherwise, steer clear of that opening for now.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I heard a few fish were caught early in the morning. I didn’t see a keeper caught all day (including in my boat). Hard to keep at it when teh graph was so empty. Wis crappie action has heated up,…made my weekend.

shockers
    Rochester

Yeah, that’s the same news I got from talking to guys. The few decent fish that were caught were in the a.m. That said, my 3 were from 11 a.m. to about 2 p.m. So who knows.

I know they’re out there. Sure seems like temps are ideal. 61 in most locations where I was. Next time out I’m thinking I’ll try crawlers given the warmer temps. I dunno.

shockers
    Rochester

Well, that’s good news. I tried crawlers briefly Saturday with no luck. But will try them again next time out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.