Pellet grill vs gas

• castle-rock-clown

Well then, when it comes to searing, my Bighorn overhead steak searer gets up to 1500 degrees! At that temp something magical happens to red meat.

picklerick
    Central WI

Well then, when it comes to searing, my Bighorn overhead steak searer gets up to 1500 degrees! At that temp something magical happens to red meat.

Charcoal burns at 2,000 degrees. It can burn up to 2300* with forced air.

deertracker

Well, MAP gas burns at 3,730 degrees. You’re not cooking right unless you use a MAP gas torch. coffee
    DT

FinickyFish

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>

Charcoal burns at 2,000 degrees. It can burn up to 2300* with forced air.

Watched a video about direct coal grilling with skirt steak, they just laid the meat right on the coals. I may try a ribeye that way sometime.

Dan Baker

I sear my steaks on my boats seat cushion. The hottest surface on earth.

picklerick
    Central WI

I’d use natural hardwood charcoal or even big smoking wood chunks that have burned down to coals if you’re going to put a steak right on it. Blow the ashes off with something before dropping the steak on it. I prefer to lay a cast iron grate right on the coals instead.

castle-rock-clown

Direct coals is caveman style…I haven’t built up the courage to try that yet, 😆

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Easy to add wood chips to a gas grill for smoke… also I turn off 1 or 2 burners to reduce/maintain steady heat for ribs, etc.
    Fire bricks do a good job of isolating meet from heat source as well.

Between Weber kettle and gas, Granted I can do a decent job on almost anything.

picklerick
    Central WI

If you don’t mind brushing off bits of ash and charcoal it works pretty well. Because the meat is right against the coals there’s little room for air to get in and cause flare ups. Just around the edges.

picklerick
    Central WI

If you don’t mind brushing off bits of ash and charcoal it works pretty well. Because the meat is right against the coals there’s little room for air to get in and cause flare ups. Just around the edges.

CaptainMusky

And you would lose to many gas grills, Bullzeye gets up to 749 degrees, which is plenty and really good for an easy bake oven. But there’s plenty of gas grills that exceed it, and my Weber kettle burning charcoal and real wood can get as hot as I want it

It actually gets hotter than that, but RecTeq has limited the display to only go up to 749. If you check with a high heat thermometer it can be much higher than that especially if you have the sear grates which I do. Bullzeye isnt a typical pellet grill because its direct heat. Its not an easy bake oven at all you actually do need to pay attention to it like you would a charcoal or gas grill because its direct heat. This is the reason they dont offer it with the wifi controller. Some dufusses dont pay attention and they have a wild fire going on. Seen many videos and its hilarious that these dumb people dont burn their house down.

KP
    Hudson, WI

You can still use the the Bullzeye as a smoker right? So some low temps like 225?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I get the use of gas grill for ease, but if you grill alot why would you want to be constantly eating off a gas grill. The taste for me is just no good. We tried it for a very short while and it sucked, especially compared to my old weber

CaptainMusky

You can still use the the Bullzeye as a smoker right? So some low temps like 225?

Absolutely! I reverse seared some awesome ribeyes last weekend. Smoked them for about 30 minutes took them off cranked it up to riot mode when it reached 700 degrees I threw them back on for about a minute each side. Phenomenal. If doing a long smoke for a brisket or butt or similar, Id put a drip pan on the deflector shield though because drippings will lead to a flare up. For hot cooks no need for that.
    I bought it for the sole intention of replacing the gas grill that I havent used in 3 years but the wife says she doesnt want to learn how to use it. Its literally push a button and set the temp. Easier than starting my gas grill because you have to turn multiple burners on.

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KP wrote:</div>

Absolutely! I reverse seared some awesome ribeyes last weekend. Smoked them for about 30 minutes took them off cranked it up to riot mode when it reached 700 degrees I threw them back on for about a minute each side. Phenomenal. If doing a long smoke for a brisket or butt or similar, Id put a drip pan on the deflector shield though because drippings will lead to a flare up. For hot cooks no need for that.
    I bought it for the sole intention of replacing the gas grill that I havent used in 3 years but the wife says she doesnt want to learn how to use it. Its literally push a button and set the temp. Easier than starting my gas grill because you have to turn multiple burners on.

So simple but she doesn’t want to learn…tell her that next time she wants you to vacuum, 😂

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.