Paying duty entering Canada

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Going to Canada for a week and I know there are restrictions on the amount of alcohol each person can bring in. Does anyone know the amount of duty that will be charged if you would like to bring more than one case of beer? Also would it be better to purchase at the Duty Free store in International Falls, I have no experience with this process and just looking for some information.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

No idea regarding duty. I am in Ontario often. Beer there is 45-55 dollars per case in Canadian dollars. Based on the value of Canadian currency and the hassle of taking beer across plus the wide variety of great beers there, buy there.

Go to the Beer Store (if in Ontario) better selection than the LCBO. If you want anything other than beer, you’ll need to go to LCBO too.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

it’s a percentage of what you paid for the beer, but I am not sure what percent, but keep your reciept if you get a good deal and are taking it across. I go every year in October and we always bring a little extra with and pay the duty. Beer/booze is spendy up there, but the Canadian dollar is lower than our right now. Have not tried the duty free shops, so can’t comment on that.

ariat
    Ottertail Lake,mn

Duty free is ok if you want a bottle of crown royal or something you might save a few bucks. As far as beer goes they ussualy ask you how much you paid for it. We tell them we pay $20 a case at home so they charge us around $9 duty.
    Where are you heading to in Canada? good luck!!, we leave in 5 weeks!!can’t wait!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Essentially, what the duty does is apply all Canadian national and provincial taxes to the item you’re bringing in.

When I have been charged for duty, the worst I seem to do is that the item cost me what I would have paid had I bought it in Canada.

But depending on what province you’re heading to, you may well come out ahead even with paying duty. I go to SK often to visit relatives and the SK provincial taxes on alcohol are OUTRAGEOUS plus they have a provincial monopoly on alcohol sales (I believe the province owns most or all the stores) so prices are very high to begin with. So going in to SK, they always hit me with duty and I’m happy to pay it because it’s still 20-30% cheaper than buying it there.

And often times they’ll wave you through with some extra. Just be honest and declare everything and be ready with receipts.

Grouse

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

The prices are high. It is not due to a monopoly. It is due to taxes. The taxes on alcohol and tobacco pay for the Canadian health care system. Think about what you and (in most cases) your employer pay for health insurance. Compare that to the tax you’d pay each month for alcohol and tobacco.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Going to Canada for a week and I know there are restrictions on the amount of alcohol each person can bring in. Does anyone know the amount of duty that will be charged if you would like to bring more than one case of beer? Also would it be better to purchase at the Duty Free store in International Falls, I have no experience with this process and just looking for some information.

I just recently heard this from a friend but I have not confirmed it. He says he buys his beer/booze at the duty Free store on the American side but does not take possession until he has gone through Canada customs. Then a delivery truck meets him on the Canada side and delivers his beer/booze. He said it costs him more than what he would pay back home but far cheeper than buying once in Canada…..

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Just make sure to buy a case of Labatt Blue on the frenchie side, they’re delicious over there. toast

big_g
    Isle, MN

It is always cheaper to pay duty… but like said… a 5.0% HIGH LIFE is so tasty up there devil toast

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.