Ontario Big Pike

• Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

The post ice, or should I say, receding ice Pike season is off to an AWESOME start!

We found these monsters yesterday hold up in a shallow bay in super clear water. Water temps were in the 48 – 50 degree range with the pike becoming more active as the day wore on. Both trolling and casting worked effectively and of the many different presentations we offered, the pike didn’t seem to key in on one particular lure. I will add that smaller seemed to be better.

The keys to catching the monsters yesterday were:

1) warmer water

2) tactically sight fishing them

3) slow retrieve

4) holding out until late afternoon

All in all we landed over a dozen big pike yesterday with at least 6 of them being trophy class, 40” or better. The biggest of the day was a late spawner, measuring 44” and still full of spawn. I should also note that it was a gorgeous day yesterday with a bright, cloudless blue sky and minimal wind.

Check out the rest of our HUGE PIKE Photos at Pasha Lake Pictures

Still cabins left of the IDO May Promotion, please have a look…

FREE CABINS

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi Chad

Nice pike!

I sent you a PM. Check that out when you have a chance.

bigpike

Wow that is cool, nice fish, wishn I could join you

doorman

Fishing on nip may, june & july My boat landed 22 pike over 40 inches. Biggest was 45 and caught by my 10 year old son. ALL fish over 40 released. Please let the big fish go. I am seeing way to many fish being killed. A replica is a better mount anyway.(if my 10 year old can do it so can you)This goes for lakers also! I’ve been Fishing the lake for 20 years now and have killed 0 trophy pike and only 1 laker. (the laker was 42” and I was only 19. I didnt think they got any bigger) It seems like their is an endless supply of fish in Canada. That’s what it was like in the states 120 years ago. Follow the slots and don’t kill trophies. But always keep an eater for shore lunch.

Chad Thompson

Impressive #’s Doorman!

Great advice as well. I always encourage guests to practice catch and release. I want my son, and my, someday grandchildren, to experience the thrill you discuss in your post!

Thanks

Chad

doorman

Chad, I’m heading to Lk Nipigon 9/3 for last trip of season. Hows water level, weed growth. I havnt been up since July. Ill report how I do. How have you been doing on the big Lk. THANKS, Dan

Chad Thompson

Doorman – only been on the North end for eyes lately. Haven’t heard to much on the LK trout or the pike.

Make sure you reconnoiter McIntyre Bay while you are there. Lots of HUGE, pike in the spring and definitely worth checking out.

doorman

Thanks, Chad. Got on the water sat. and sun. 9/4 HOLLY WIND fri. Fishing was good on sat. Got my biggest pike ever 45 inch, 25 inch girth, 25.5# It was a good short trip. Got the over 40 inch total for 2010 to 28 ALL STILL SWIMMING! Ill send pics. Thanks,Dan

bigpike

Congradulations on your pig Dan , you certainly deserve it with all the casting you do on that lake . Also great numbers for the year! When will we see that picture?

Chad Thompson

Dan –

Don’t know if you are headed up the upcoming spring 2011 or not, but please put a stop at my place on your “to do” list. We can swap stories and have a few refreshments!

Contgrats on that monster!

doorman

Chad, Thanks for the invite. If im not on Nipigon this spring, I’M DEAD. I’m also trying to get to your place this winter for some ice fishing.Are you doing any sport shows this winter? (You can PM me.) ,Dan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.