Park Rapids MN area

• Hunter3553
    Southwest Iowa

Family is vacationing at Fish Hook Lake near Park Rapids next year late June. The resort said fishing is good on Fish Hook, but I do like to venture out and explore. Any lakes in that area that you’d recommend for finding some walleye?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You really won’t have to leave Fish Hook if you don’t want, but Potato, Long and Big Sand are also good. Most of the lakes are super clear/clean so night time is usually best, or if you get an overcast day with a good walleye chop daytime can be good.

Hunter3553
    Southwest Iowa

That’s great to hear. What about panfish for the kids, they just love catching fish. My 9 year old son loves catching pike, I assume that won’t be an issue anywhere up there.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Portage Lake, just West of Fish Hook, weedy and full of good panfish.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s great to hear. What about panfish for the kids, they just love catching fish. My 9 year old son loves catching pike, I assume that won’t be an issue anywhere up there.

I don’t really panfish, but they are in every lake in good numbers and size, Fish Hook included. Crow Wing chain is a good bet too. There’s so many good lakes up there, you can really throw a dart and find good fishing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Island lake just West of Park Rapids is also a Great lake. REALLY nice sunfish and crappie, Rather good walleyes. and a decent bass population – Both LM and SM

Hunter3553
    Southwest Iowa

Thanks for all the quick replies. If I was smart I’d focus on one lake and really figure it out, but with so many lakes around I don’t know if I can help from venturing out and doing some exploring.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

There are about 400 lakes in the area. In addition to nice panfish in the Crow Wing chain they also provide some really good pike fishing.
    You’ll have a great time up here!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

our family place is on Potato. the bluegills, bass, and pike are easy to come by and very willing to bite, i like to be on my spots before first light the best. you might have to pick through some small ones to put a fish fry together. crappies are usually nice sized, just a bit more work to locate. i’ve never really figured the walleyes out consistently, but haven’t put the time into it in deeper water or at night either. a guy can put a very nice mixed bag together trolling small cranks or bottom bouncers off the deep weed edge at sunset.

tim hurley

Beautiful up there, so many good panny lakes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.