Bayfield Area bluegills!

• Bryan Myers

This weekend I decided to break out the fly rod for the first time in several years. I was up in Northern Wisconsin for the weekend near the Iron River area and I talked my father in law into showing me a little lake that is stocked with trout. As we walked down to the water I could see schools of nice gills all over in the crystal clear shallow water soaking up all the warming water they could. After catching a few gills myself I realized I probably was not going to be catching any trout, but that was not a big deal I was more concerned with getting my nephew a few fish.

With the fish schooled up the way they were it didn’t take long before he caught enough fish to put his rod down and start eating his snacks then he started exploring, and picking on the turtles near by. I decided that it was the perfect time to see if I could still use the fly rod and it was a great decision. Those fish were on the chew and crushed any fly that got around them. After someone finished his snack he was right on my heals so that I could cast the fly and he could reel in the fish!

We never did land any trout but if you were wanting some nice gills to fry up there were plenty willing to eat, and knowing the area up there there’s lots of lakes that will be the same way right now, the shore lines will be littered with hungry bluegills preparing for the spawn, and many of those lake receive very little pressure. Maybe next time I’ll get a hold of some trout!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have one of those rods sitting in the corner, and never get it out… thanks for the reminder.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.