We’re On Em!

• BBKK
    IA

Took a while, but for the past week we have really been on the panfish! I’ve been meaning to take pictures but I get too excited and release the fish before taking a picture. Conservatively, I’d say I’m already over 250 fish in 4 days of fishing. Conservatively. Mix of crappies and bluegills of all sizes. The rig has been my 1/64 bluegill killer jigs tipped with a chartreuse crappie nibble under a tiny float, set 1-2′ deep over 6-8′ of water.

I’ve posted pictures of the bluegill killer before, I tied it for summertime bluegill fishing but it has been HOT for early spring crappie! More crappie than bluegill actually.

Chartreuse/white swirl has been the hot color, with a few fish coming on black body and chart tails.. but mostly on the chart/white.

Its just been way too much fun to not post about it! The st. croix panfish rod is getting a workout!

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Come on Kevin..250 and no pics…you know what the say…

Its just a fish tale with no pics…
    “Sarcasm”…. :

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Kevin,

You should buy some “rite in the rain” notebooks and record your daily catches.

I don’t have a hard time believing 250 fish in 4 days at all. I caught 227 sunfish in 6 hours of fishing (2hrs a day, 3 days in a row, 2 different lakes).

Actually not that hard to put 100 sunfish on the ice in a 1.5-3hr timespan. (I mean when your on them and their biting)

The rite in the rain notebook works with a pencil, and is waterproof. It’s fun looking back to see how many you caught and know that is exactly how many you caught without speculation. March i caught over 540, over 880 for the year. All fish included.

As time goes by i’ll start including more and more details in my notebooks to start building a personal bible of fishing data to reflect on.

Just throwing it out there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FishBlood&RiverMud would you post a link?

Depending, this might be handy for all the ideas I get in the middle of the night.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Awesome Job Kevin!!!! Are you using a fixed float and working the bait similar to a float and fly presentation or are you using a slip float?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Shipping cost is horrible, so i ordered several different styles (Years worth) to justify shipping.

Might be something you could put in everts resort and make some $$, they have business packages.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Awesome Job Kevin!!!! Are you using a fixed float and working the bait similar to a float and fly presentation or are you using a slip float?

Tiny clip on. To be honest the fish have not been very aggressive yet. Yesterday I thought with the warmer water they would be ale to take a slip bobber, but only got 1 on it. Same rig, just with a small slip float, a 3/0 split shot and the little jig.

I’ve been using one of those tiny yellow/orange clip on, I think its the 1″ size. Its the next size bigger than the ultra tiny ice bobber. No extra weight, and the little jig. Finesse has been the key. Just let the ripple on the water work the jig, with some twitches every once n a while. Been so windy there hasn’t been any other choice really.

Give it a shot when you northern guys lose your ice. You don’t need my fancy jig, just any ice jig and nibble or wax worm. Just make sure you fish it shallow (I’m fishing 1-2′ deep over 6-8′) so the fish have to rise and hit it.. otherwise they will peck you to death.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.