Minnesota Slough Tigers?

• smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

So two out of the last three weeks I’ve watched Janes and Joel smoke the big Perch just west of the border in SD and ND.

Does this type of bite exist in far western MN too?

Also, anybody know why we can grow small perch to 6 inches by the millions in the central MN lakes but seldom do they grow up other than in Mille Lacs?

fieds
    ottertail county

gotta be food, i think minnesota is pretty much shrimpless now days. thats been my observation while duck hunting, no shrimp anymore. to back up the food link, my cousin took his slough, perch—millions of 3-6 inchers—-and turned them into pole bending terminators by feeding.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

“fresh water shrimp”

In ML they like to feed on larva form of mayflies. From what I hear SD sloughs have similar little bugs but are in the shrimp family. I will try to find pictures.

There must be better fat/protein content or quantity in Shrimp as compared to MF larva here in ML.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’ve covered the bed in my truck with shrimp (they turn pink when they dry out) from a MN slough when my duck decoy bag dried out, but I’ve only seen it once in MN now that you mention it. Differences in agricultural practices?

fieds
    ottertail county

wrong kind of critter. freshwater shrimp are just shrimp.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

wrong kind of critter. freshwater shrimp are just shrimp.

Yep… that’s mayfly larvae, shrimp are… well shrimp.

Mark

fieds
    ottertail county

most common thought that i’ve heard is that fathead minnows wipe them out. don’t know if i buy that but there are not shrimp around like there used to be. my duck boat used to wreak by the end of the season but now its hard to find a slough with them anymore

erod61

When we were in Waubay last year, I was told that the glacial lakes in SD have a higher level of salinity that favors fresh water shrimp. Not entirely sure of that, just relaying what I was told.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It really is a shame too. I know a lake with perch that are just under the size where it would be worth filleting. Even though they aren’t huge, there aggressiveness makes them a blast to fish. If we had bigger ones around here I’d probably ice fish for them over bluegills.

Prior Lake must have shrimp. And that is unrelated to the post above.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Quote:

“fresh water shrimp”
    In ML they like to feed on larva form of mayflies. From what I hear SD sloughs have similar little bugs but are in the shrimp family. I will try to find pictures.
    There must be better fat/protein content or quantity in Shrimp as compared to MF larva here in ML.

We just got back from the Webster area, and we were pleasantly surprised after drilling another hole in amongst the dead trees. Up with the shot of water after we broke through with the auger came about 30 freshwater shrimp! You can see why the fish get fat if they are that well populated!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

When we were in Waubay last year, I was told that the glacial lakes in SD have a higher level of salinity that favors fresh water shrimp. Not entirely sure of that, just relaying what I was told.

That is the same thing that I have heard, the water is slightly brackish and yes the fresh water shrimp in that area are thick. They also produce some real nice Crappies and gills in that area.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.