Pool 8 2/16/2013

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

By 10 minutes after 6AM a series of holes were being punched on a flat in 5-7fow. Only yards away the shallow dumped into 12-15fow. Mike and I dropped Rosie reds, fatheads, and waxies, all pierced onto spoons and jigs presenting an array of offerings to the water dwelling creatures below.
    Mike soon found a purple mini mert sporting a rosie to be the ticket for some dandy perch. I struggled at first while hole hopping. It wasn’t until after drilling another series of holes on the flat and changing over to a purple ratso tipped with a waxie that I was able to have a presentation that couldn’t be ignored by the crowd below.
    I found the crappies wanting the bait to be falling slow. They would show themselves just under the ice to follow a slow falling jig down 2-3 feet before committing. As soon as the line bowed the rod was swept up for the hook set.
    The perch however would show up just off bottom waiting for the falling purple ratso, stopping the bait in front of their face with a few twitches and then a lift was too much for a few of the tight lipped orange fins to ignore.
    Mike also scoured on some dandy gills. My presentation only produced watch fob gills but it did produce more paper mouths. By 11:30 we were walking off the ice with a nice fish fry each.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Great to read one of your reports again Bret!
    I for one, definitely missed your ice fishing reports.

Nice pannies by the way!

Boog

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

Great to read one of your reports again Bret!
    I for one, definitely missed your ice fishing reports.
    Then the rumor is not true Superman is still alive. Welcome back you old goat.
    Nice pannies by the way!

Boog

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Great report Buddy Bret. Fun time as usual and finally some fish willing to participate. It’s been such a long drought of bad bites it felt good to yell ” fish on” again. And even a couple of flags

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Great work as usual guys, love the perch on the right. Dark, with shoulders….no doubt a thick river-yellow!

Joel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.