Decent metro spots for panfish?

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Can someone point me in a good direction for metro pannies? I want to take my daughter out and actually bring some fish back… But finding decent panfish is a freaking task in a world of stunted, overpopulated micro-fish.

I wish the DNR would let us use sunfish for bait in MN… we could clean u so many lakes of the microfish problem soooo easily.

Of course any and all info will remain confidential…

Hoping for some PMs…

gary d
    cordova,il

There was a old guy in Hastings that would scale,cut and gut small bluegills then grind them up and make fish patties. Bones and meat. Little flour and a hot fryen pan. I have eaten them and they were pretty good. Just a idea!!!

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

The Mississippi and st croix hold alot of good ones. Been catchin alot by accident lately. So many I have to move spots sometimes. I do know of a spoy where there’s a bunch if good ones trapped from low water in the upper sippi right now.

sandmannd

You don’t have to go much more than 20-30 minutes out of the city to find sunfish that you would like to keep. I would look at that. Worth the extra drive.

armchairdeity

KATmando… I actually had a freaking clicker run on a bluegill the other day on crawlers on the bottom.

The ‘gill had taken a 2/0 circle hook and dashed off dragging my clicker behind it!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

KATmando… I actually had a freaking clicker run on a bluegill the other day on crawlers on the bottom.

The ‘gill had taken a 2/0 circle hook and dashed off dragging my clicker behind it!

So I guess you found a spot.

armchairdeity

Quote:

Quote:

So I guess you found a spot.

That seems to have been a “one-day-only” sale… nothing the next afternoon.

Did good on smallish largemouth (which are just really big sunnies anyway) and bullhead at a little lake near my place.

Hooked into something that I couldn’t turn, slow down or bring up… It was like hooking into a very slow-moving freight train. Ended up throwing the hook before it spooled my ultralight. I’m guessing it was a snagged carp… but it sure was exciting!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.