Pool 5A and Sunfish

• 2Fishy4U

I spent last Thursday and Friday fishing Pools 5A and 5, respectively. AM Watson says I am a bit negative so I won’t spend time discussing the Walleyes I didn’t catch.

Before the cold front moved in late Friday the Sunfish bite on 5A was exceptional. I must have caught at least 100 and kept 10 of the big ones, but ended up giving those away to a family camping at Merrick State Park.

The fish were caught right on top of a Wing Dam, and also in a mid back water snag in less then five feet of water.

Size was an issue and I would guess only about one in eight was a keeper. However, I did end up with 10 Sunnies over seven inches which was fine. All were caught using a light sinker and piece of nite crawler.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Glad to see you caught some nice gills They are really on a tear on and around the wingdams around here as well. I take it the walleyes were not cooperating to well

2Fishy4U

AM,

the Walleyes were not biting at all. Beyond trolling I tried Willow Cats off the end of Wing Dams, in the deeper sloughs, etc. with never a bite. I was looking for some local guy that wanted the Willow Cats but ended up releasing them in Trout Creek a few miles south of Winona.

I have kept records of my fishing trips since 1987 and at times we have caught some decent Walleyes shortly after labor day. However, I did notice that each time the happened the river was from 1 to 3 feet higher.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have also heard the same. Walleyes have been up and down in the last week or so. We tried throwing cranks for walleyes yesterday to no avail. Today while I was out in some of the backwaters I haven’t been to in awhile, I really noticed just how far down the water is. The flow is also more like a trickle. I sure hope this rain keeps up so we can get some more water in the river.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The rain we receivd up here in the twin cities didn’t amount to much. It was basically an all day drizzle and I don’t recall any periods of heavier precip in S. MPLS.

herb
    6ft under

That’s good to hear!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Oh, cummon. We could use more than little more water in that big river. She’s been mighty low for a long time now.

herb
    6ft under

With all the rain they are getting around West Union and Manchester it won’t be long before the Miss down here gets high, swift, and MUDDY.
    Guess I can always go back to Catfishin.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Herb,

I’m sending lots of love and rain your way! We are getting dumped on right now.

You best be digging out the Sonny’s Catfish bait.

herb
    6ft under

Tom, I got out this weekend for some craps and they are just starting to get in the mood for the fall feed down here. Yesterday was too windy to hold over my brushpiles so I decided to try that wingdam gill bite you guys are talking up so much. We still have more current than normal for our pool level but I finally found a dam with some lower flows. Ended up with 2 5inch gills, but the sheeps and small cats you absolutely could not get away from.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Herb, the sheepies up here on pool 4 have been huge this year. LOTS of FUN but wish they were eyes instead. Come on up and enjoy them.
    Thanks, Bill

herb
    6ft under

Thanks anyway Bill but if I ever get time off work I’m supposed to take fishing machine out for some mongo specks.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Well then Herb, I look forward to your fishing report on how you two do and what techniques worked best. [hint hint]
    Thanks, Bill

jim-bailey
    Clinton County Iowa

Herb: Times a wastin!!! You had better get that trip planned. I’ll be up there the next 2 weeks starting Friday morning. Hope to see you there. I’m sure they will be jumping in the boat with Fishing Machine for a guide. She has the crappie nailed down and she’ll have to show you where they are.
    Later
    Jim

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.