painting a propane tank

• phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

I have 2 propane tanks that i want to paint this summer. (500 and 325 gallon). Is there a specific primer and paint to use? Is there a proper method to painting them or is it just making sure you get even coverage? I never painted tanks before.

Iowaboy1

Go to your local co-op and buy tank primer and tank enamel,it is formulated for that application.
    Clean the tank with a stiff wire brush and pressure wash it with a fungicide killing agent soap.

Let it dry,primer one day and paint the next day.
    I painted a lot of tanks in my day when I worked for a local co-op.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

by co-op, do you mean grain elevator/storage silo place?

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

would that be like the place i have come out and fill my tanks? Im not familiar with gas co-ops. lol

Iowaboy1

Well ya.
    Down here they are 1 and the same.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Is there a specific primer and paint to use? Is there a proper method to painting them or is it just making sure you get even coverage?

Your LP supplier can probably also advise you on any local regulations that must be met when repainting your LP tank.
    https://www.propane101.com/propanetankcolor.htm#:~:text=NFPA%2058%20states%20that%20propane%20containers%20%20must,unless%20installed%20%20in%20an%20extremely%20cold%20environment.

stout93
    Becker MN

The propane company painted the tank when we bought our place.

Is yours a rented tank? Not sure, but maybe the LP company would come out and paint it since your renting it from them?

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

not rented. i own both of them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Go to your local co-op and buy tank primer and tank enamel,it is formulated for that application.
    Clean the tank with a stiff wire brush and pressure wash it with a fungicide killing agent soap.

Let it dry,primer one day and paint the next day.
    I painted a lot of tanks in my day when I worked for a local co-op.

^Spot on 100%

Our family owns somewhere around 50 propane tanks ranging from 100 gallons to x2 100k gallon tanks used to sell propane on the side. I’ve painted many, and the final painting process is about 5% of the work.

For a decent end product don’t be afraid to get real aggressive with the brushing and cleaning of the tank. With primer less is often better. If you have too much primer that takes longer to dry, you can have more issues in the long run with longevity of the paint coat. Humidity is your enemy. Most of the one’s I’ve painted/cleaned were hung from our lull outside on dry warm fall days with a slight breeze.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.