Pain reliever for labs hips

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have a 9 year old lab who has some hip issues starting to show. I gave him a few retrieves last night and is pretty sore today. Anything you guys recommend to help the big guy out for the week?

haleysgold
    SE MN

I use 80mg of baby aspirin on my lab.
    Vet said it was ok but not for use every day.
    Occasional use was about the best option available.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Straight-up aspirin works alright. Other than that, you’re probably best off with a vet visit. Rimadyl works awesome, but it is not cheap.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You can pick up dog asprin at Fleet Farm. (Flavored chewable.) The doses amounts are specific to your dog’s weight.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You can pick up dog asprin at Fleet Farm. (Flavored chewable.) The doses amounts are specific to your dog’s weight.

I did not know that!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Rimadyl is all I ever used but have to get it at the vet and its expensive. At least its chewable so they take it like a treat. I always keep some around for the old dog.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Another vote for aspirin… give him or her one at the end of the session… It seems to me that I have given mine the 325mg, only one at time…

Mark

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

At least its chewable so they take it like a treat.

Chewable and beef flavored, but Floyd still hated it. )

jerry b
    western WI

My pup has developed a shoulder tendon problem that flairs after a heavy work out. I went the baby aspirin route and got chewed out by her vet for it. Regardless what I read online, it’s tough on their stomachs and can be irritating. Instead, the vet started her on Meloxicam @ 2 1/4ml per 24 hrs. I cut her ground exercise program back and instead do most of her retrieving work in the water. She’s coming along fine and very seldom shows any signs of tenderness. Maybe ask your vet about this remedy?? jerr

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Although it’s not a pain reliever, glucosamine should help with joint pain as well. It acts as a lubricant for the joints and is much more natural for animals and humans alike.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Instead, the vet started her on Meloxicam

Interesting! I’ve never heard of it used on dogs, but it is an NSAID that is commonly used for arthritis in humans.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

We give our 120 pound, 6yo black lab both. 750mg glucosmine 2x per day and 1/2 of a 7.5mg meloxicam 1x per day. He’s been taking the glucosamine for the last couple years and the meloxicam for the last 6 months or so since his last knee reconstruction. We get the meloxicam, 30 pills, enough for 2 months, for about $11 at the vet. The glucosamine we get at walgreens in 240 count dietary supplement tables.

norge

Stay away from Aspirin for any long term, it is very tough on a dogs stomach. They can get bleeding ulcers and other things although tolerance varies dog to dog.
    Rimadyl is a great NSAID and does come in a chewable. As Jerr said Meloxicam also works well. Make sure the dogs weight is where it belongs and for long term addition of fish oil capsules can benefit because of the anti-inflammatory properties of the Omega 3 fatty acids. That takes 2-3 months to see the full benefit but it does help. Massage and you helping with manual range of motion exercises can be a benefit.
    If all of this fails you can consider a steroid injection. Dexamethazone is commonly used but my preference is Depo-Medrol which is a longer acting steroid.
    you have to discontinue NSAIDS for some time prior to it’s use, but that can calm things down enough so that the dog is comfortable and you can later get on a course of NSAIDS to maintain. Good Luck! Lloyd

jerry b
    western WI

Heads up folks, Norge (Lloyd) knows of what he speaks. He raises and runs sled dogs, has been at it for years. Has his own line of dog food for high performance dogs too- – jerr

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.