Paddle to the Sea (almost)

• munchy
    NULL

Been keeping up with this story on a couple Northshore Facebook groups. This small wood boat was recently found washed up on the shore near Marquette Michigan. On the bottom side was written “I am traveling to the ocean. Please put me back in the water. Will you send information on your whereabouts too!” “Lakewood School Room 116 & 118….Duluth”

The finder was asking for more information and after a few days got an amazing story.

Turns out it was tossed into the water in the 1993/94 school year! The class had just finished reading the book “Paddle to the Sea”. They found the teacher and even a picture of the “release”!
    Amazing that it survived 27 years in the waters/shores of Superior and still looks almost like the day it was released.

Attachments:
    1. 20201010_155124.jpg

2. 20201010_155139.jpg

3. 20201010_155159.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How far from launch point to where it was found? Neat story.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That is pretty neat. That would be a pretty cool thing to have done and recieve feedback from. Especially 30 years later

munchy
    NULL

How far from launch point to where it was found? Neat story.

Edited my original post. I made a mistake while writing the story, it was found near Marquette Michigan,(not north shore)so about 300 miles(or more).

munchy
    NULL

Here is a little more to the story from the teacher.

Attachments:
    1. 20201010_171317.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Paddle to the Sea is an absolute classic children’s book. It was one of my boys favorites.

My kids we’re thrilled when I read this modern day update to them. Thanks for posting this, Munchy.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its amazing how well the lake takes care of that which is in it. For over twenty years I saw a nice silver bicycle wedged in boulders at the base of the breakwater in about 25 feet of water in Two Harbors. It was said that a wild waved on rough day washed it off the wall. There were two, but one must have gotten pulled up. Over time on a calm day I could see the collection of lures hanging from the spoked wheels that grew with each year. A diver must have finally retrieved it as I didn’t see it in its usual resting spot this summer.

This last summer, the last trip, I snagged a nice landing net with a six foot extendable handle. Heavy duty sucker too with the rubberized, small-weave mesh net. Other than a light coating of pond scum its in perfect condition. Locals say it was lost a couple years ago. I saw the outline of the net while watching some fish down about 30 feet along the side of the wall, so I dropped my casting lure down and bounced it until it made it into the net’s hoop and cranked it up.

The song says the “lake it is said never gives up her dead”, so find and seeing things like this boat or net offers promise even after almost 30 years to that small boat. That’s a cool story.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.