Pack Frames

• Rick Z
    Stark MN

Going muzzleloader Elk hunting next year in Colorado. Have not been in about 5 years since I moved here from Colorado. All my buddies out there swear by the Kuiu pack frame systems to haul out the elk. but seriously, $500? Does anyone know of a similar quality pack frame but not as spendy. I am not above spending that much if the quality is really that much better. Back in the day we just used a frame with a shelf, but you have to leave that on the ATV and go back and get it after you bone out the meat. They carry these all day now and have it ready.

Thoughts?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

We have a couple different Alps packs. Decent, comfortable, a lot cheaper ( seeing them on sale at about 179 from 250ish. Down fall is weight. I think they are pretty heavy and don’t like it for all day hikes. But then I’m getting old and falling apart. So every ounce makes a difference to me

Nitrodog

I have a kifaru and a exo pack. Both are great packs. Do you just need a frame to haul meat or carry gear also?

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I love my kuiu system. Find one used on Facebook to save some $

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have a kifaru and a exo pack. Both are great packs. Do you just need a frame to haul meat or carry gear also?

I have a kifaru as well. I love the fit and how comfortable it is to wear. Honestly I can go hours and I don’t even think about having it on my back with a hunting load. I’m not going to bash brands but I hunted with PJ this fall during archery elk and his $350 pack was eating him alive. The straps were cutting into his shoulders and the back support didn’t fit him worth a darn. And that was with a day trip hunting load. If you’re going to live out of your pack or need to haul an animal I’d look to save money elsewhere, particularly if you plan to continue hunting out west. A good pack is an investment that will basically last a lifetime and will make your hunt a lot more enjoyable.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Agreed on the “pay what you get for” comments regarding these. If it is a simple frame to keep in the truck to haul out an elk, you can get by with some of the lower priced units, but if you’re doing any serious backpacking save money elsewhere. I’m a big Mystery Ranch guy.

jake47
    WI

If you’re going to live out of your pack or need to haul an animal I’d look to save money elsewhere, particularly if you plan to continue hunting out west. A good pack is an investment that will basically last a lifetime and will make your hunt a lot more enjoyable.

This seems like really solid advice!

Do most (all) of the higher end packs have the bag removable? So if you were to harvest an animal, you can drop the bag at the truck after the first load of meat and only haul the frame back? I’m a few years out from needing one, but might buy one sooner to begin training for a hunt.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>
    If you’re going to live out of your pack or need to haul an animal I’d look to save money elsewhere, particularly if you plan to continue hunting out west. A good pack is an investment that will basically last a lifetime and will make your hunt a lot more enjoyable.

This seems like really solid advice!

Do most (all) of the higher end packs have the bag removable? So if you were to harvest an animal, you can drop the bag at the truck after the first load of meat and only haul the frame back? I’m a few years out from needing one, but might buy one sooner to begin training for a hunt.

Most of the high end backpack hunting packs (Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Exo, etc) have the “meat shelf” integrated into the bag in one way or another. I know that Mystery Ranch sells a carrier separately that you would be able to swap out onto the frame to replace the bag back at the truck if necessary.

realtreeap10
    Over there

As everyone mentioned get a pack that fits and is of good quality. Many of the better brands have been mentioned but do some research and figure out roughly what you’re bringing in/using it for. Day trips in and out to a main tent or if you end up with a Spike camp route. Mystery Ranch has sales around black friday every year and I picked up a Popup 38 for fairly cheap last year. We hunt from a wall tent base and are back every night so I can get away with a small system with a built-in shelf.

Rick Janssen

Here is my experience with packs. I have several (backpacking, canoeing, hunting) over the years I have found that some brands just fit better on different people. So with that being said, be sure you TRY IT ON if you can with a load. I even remember buying one of my first BIG bags for canoe trips and I put my young son in it while on my back to get the feel for it when it was carrying a load. That truly made the difference on which pack I bought. Like others have said, get a good quality one that will last. That pack I bought for canoeing has been on 38 trips between me and others and is still going strong.

ajw

Stone glacier or kifaru

Rick Z
    Stark MN

This is all great advice. It would be a pack that I could wear hunting all day and then use it to haul out meat when needed. The Kuiu pack that I looked at is around $500 and it holds 1850 CI of gear and then will hold an additional 2500 CI of meat between the pack and the frame as needed. We ride ATVs into the mountains and then hunt from there sometimes up to 5 miles out. Wearing the pack will avoid having to hike all the way back to the ATV to get the frame plus hold all of the needed gear for the day. I know that one big plus for the Kuiu packs is that they are extremly light weight. The downside is that they are over the internet and I cannot try them on. Thank you for all of the other recommendations. I plan to research them all.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nitrodog wrote:</div>

I have a kifaru as well. I love the fit and how comfortable it is to wear. Honestly I can go hours and I don’t even think about having it on my back with a hunting load. I’m not going to bash brands but I hunted with PJ this fall during archery elk and his $350 pack was eating him alive. The straps were cutting into his shoulders and the back support didn’t fit him worth a darn. And that was with a day trip hunting load. If you’re going to live out of your pack or need to haul an animal I’d look to save money elsewhere, particularly if you plan to continue hunting out west. A good pack is an investment that will basically last a lifetime and will make your hunt a lot more enjoyable.

James which Kifaru pack do you have?

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I use Eberlestock for my hunting needs. Got the M5 frame pack and it’s hauled some meat. Good luck!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Are you just looking for a day pack, or a pack you could bring camp with and hunt for 3-5 days out of your pack? If just a day pack then the MR pop-up packs are awesome.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James which Kifaru pack do you have?

Mountain Warrior. It’s a 5750 ci bag. It has more than enough room for tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag (in a compression bag), food, water purification kit + cook stove and personal items for a week hunt. I do have the add-on guide lid on top of the bag for an additional 1,200 ci.

The frame is Duplex Frame Lite 1/8″; Frame Length: 26″; Shoulder Strap Length: Long (18″ Torso or longer); Belt Size: Medium (34″ – 38″ waist); Belt/Shoulder Strap Color: Coyote Brown (Height: 6’4″; Weight: 230; Waist Size: 38; Inseam: 34; Back Profile: Normal)

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Are you just looking for a day pack, or a pack you could bring camp with and hunt for 3-5 days out of your pack? If just a day pack then the MR pop-up packs are awesome.

I am looking for a day pack that I can use to haul out meat as needed. I will take a look at those too. I think the one James has is way too big for what I need. We sleep in a cabin )

tornadochaser

Mystery Ranch Pop up 28 if you just want a day pack that is well built and can handle an elk quarter. Can find them occasionally for $250.
    I know a lot of guys for their first elk hunts get the Alps Commander frame with pack, because they see that it has a meat shelf and the price is enticing, but man…it’s not quiet, screwing with the pins gets annoying, and it’s not nearly as comfortable with 50 pounds on it compared to a better pack like a MR, Kifaru, stone glacier, etc.
    For a budget pack, one I’d look at the Alps Traverse X…can get it for under $200 now days. https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/2

Michael Best

My first pack I used was an ILBE pack. It served its purpose but after buying my first Kifaru I was glad to not ever put my ILBE on again.
    You can get ILBE packs for 50 to 100 bucks with an internet search.

My set up is a Kifaru duplex frame. I run a cargo panel with a large side pocket and a large belt pouch. It’s perfect for days hunts. I can get all my gear for a day in the two pouches I have.
    The frame will handle any load you will throw on it.
    One year while hunting in a grizzly unit in Wyoming I took out 150 lbs of meat in one load. It didn’t feel any different on my back then a 60 lb load. Now my legs that was a different story.

If I were to buy now it would be the Stryker cargo panel.

On pack in hunts I have done 2 things. Use my cargo panel with a large dry bag or I will put my T1 bag on my frame.
    The T1 does pack down very nicely for day hunt mode.

One thing when purchasing Kifaru packs is watch the videos. If you have a flat back you will want aluminum stays.

Michael Best

Here is a picture of my frame with the cargo panel. Right now I have my 85 mm spotter, tripod, a puffy, kill kit and rain gear in it.

Attachments:
    1. 0E5BDC04-0E34-4F87-8187-D4E010DBE461-scaled.jpeg

catmando
    wis

I have packed many a elk hindquarter with the Cabelas Alaskan Guide pack frame, no complaints at all. Day uses a Badlands Monster fanny and for overnighters the Badlands 220. It feels like you can walk on air when you finely take the quarter off your back. Have fun. DK.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.