Owl Pellet

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I was mowing the other day and found an owl pellet on the slide of our playset. In all my years, this is the first one I’ve ever found. I let the kids pull it apart–lots of fur, bones, and teeth. Just thought I’d share with some fellow outdoors enthusiasts.

Attachments:
    1. 20220614_181217-1.jpg

2. 20220614_181217.jpg

Bob Bowman
    MN

Awesome, good on you! I bet the kids loved that, great teaching moment👍

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Beats letting them play with a mouse trap!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

That’s cool. About 5 years ago two great-horned owls nested 2 houses down. The would perch in my ward a lot which provided a great view of 2 open back yards with prey. I saw them perched on many things eating what they caught. Never found a pellet.
    One of the best sounds ever is a great-horned hooting on a calm winter night.

CaptainMusky

One of the best sounds ever is a great-horned hooting on a calm winter night.

Who cooks who cooks who cooks for youuuuu

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

@Netguy, I’ve seen a few great-horned owls in our yard, but we mostly have barred owls, so I am assuming that’s what this one came from.

They have not been as common this year, but in years past we’ve had barred owl nests and young ones in the yard. They’re very loud, but I love having them around, and there are lots of mice for them to eat.

The songbirds definitely alert you to when one is around!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.